Hybrid eco electric lentil

< Previous | Next >

danzig81

Polish
"I honestly can see a time when there are no supercars, and when the hybrid eco electric lentil you are allowed to drive to work every other day is governed by spy satellites to 20 mph"
(Jeremy Clarkson, "The end of it all", Top Gear magazine).

My question is about that "lentil" - is this some kind of informal synonym for a gizmo or a contraption?
Or maybe Clarkson wants to say that those future vehicles will be powered by lentil beans?
I would be very grateful if someone could address this issue.

• srk

English - US
    I'm guessing that "lentil" is used because of the shape of a lentil -- a lens shape, or the shape traditionally given UFOs, a flying saucer.

Linkway

British English
    Jeremy Clarkson uses lots of strange expressions; that is part of his entertainment value.

Studying his bizarre expressions might be amusing in itself, but useless for learning standard English.

danzig81

Polish
    Unless you would like to have a chat with Mr. Clarkson... or you have to translate his articles (which is my case). Cheers anyway.

WyomingSue

English--USA
    Also, I associate lentils with vegetarian diets-- he refers to an "eco" (ecological) hybrid. When we are all forced to drive ecologically sound vehicles they won't remind us of hotdogs or hamburger patties.

< Previous | Next >