Hybrid Humans Unite

< Previous | Next >

Aiwendil

Czech
The phrase HYBRID HUMANS UNITE is on the back cover of the book „WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE STARS“.

The google search for the phrase "hybrid humans unite"mostly gives many links related to Erich von Daniken's (possibly different) forewords, but it is not even clear, if it is a title of these forewords or some motto.

It definitely is not mentioned in the book itself (the Daniken's foreword doesn't have any title inside), it is only on the back cover in the same font and style as the title of the book.

Is it a command or a statement? (A statement gramatically incorrect, such many newspaper titles usually are to sound more resoundingly.)

back upper part of the book cover:
Scan 27 Aug 2014 11_46-page12.jpg

Last edited:
  • JordyBro

English - Australia
    hybrid humans unite is a present tense sentence which gives us as little meaning to me as it does to you. It is a sentence designed to make one want to read the book, what it tells us is that their are "hybrid humans", which might sound pretty cool (a hybrid is a mix of two species), and that they are "uniting". "uniting" is probably supposed to invoke the idea that they are fighting for a common cause.

sdgraham

USA English
    One has to consider the context when considering such nonsensical bumph.

From Amazon's description of the book:
    This groundbreaking book from the early 1970s presents scientific evidence :confused: to prove that mankind could not have possibly evolved naturally. Binder and Flindt explore the very real possibility:eek: that we are direct descendants of ancient starmen who came from other planets to Earth millions of years ago.
    Presumably, the people flogging this book, are trying to make a play on words from the exhortation "workers of the world unite," written by Karl Marx in The Communist Manifesto in 1848.

I consider it a tongue-in-cheek exhortation as part of the advertising.

Biffo

English - England
    HYBRID HUMANS UNITE is a slogan.

It is the sort of thing you would expect to see on a T-shirt, a placard or a poster. Picture

If it does not appear in the book then it is probably intended to convey to potential readers, the idea that hybrid humans are oppressed in some way. They need to unite in order to have strength in numbers.

(posted at same time as sdg)

Aiwendil

Czech
    One has to consider the context when considering such nonsensical bumph.

From Amazon's description of the book:

Presumably, the people flogging this book, are trying to make a play on words from the exhortation "workers of the world unite," written by Karl Marx in The Communist Manifesto in 1848.

I consider it a tongue-in-cheek exhortation as part of the advertising.
    Yes! That must be it, I had this feeling it resembled somthing I might have heard. As for your smileys – I would place the same ones on the same places as well :)

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    If you take "Hybrid humans unite" to be an imperative (as sdgraham and Biffo say, and I agree), there should be a comma after "humans". Then the meaning would be clear:
    - Hybrid humans, unite!
    However, people who write slogans do not always bother with punctuation.

Aiwendil

Czech
    Thanks, Hildy, for pointing it out, you are right, there should be a comma. I am inclined to it being an imperative, the more I think about it. Unfortunatelly, it is not only commas that slogans and headings lack... With English words being so versatile parts of speech, ommiting these little details makes it very difficult indeed for non-native speakers to understand :rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >