Hybridization

Rainbowlight

Spanish
Hello everyone,

May I ask which is the Japanese word used to refer to the hybridization or mixture of animals or plants? Is this word related to the Japanese word for cross (十字)?

Thanks again

• SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    hybridization 交配、雑種形成
    hybridize 交配させる ~の雑種を作る
    mixture of animals or plants 雑種
    a person who has two races in their blood ハーフ

gengo

American English
    May I ask which is the Japanese word used to refer to the hybridization or mixture of animals or plants? Is this word related to the Japanese word for cross (十字)?

For future reference, the WR dictionary gives the answer to your first question. As for the second, 十字 literally just means the numeral ten, so there is no way that it could be related to hybridization.

ktdd

Mandarin - Beijing
    Yeah, 十字 is just a description of the shape which resembles the character 十. In English it would probably be called an X shape. There's also 丁字, for example 丁字路 ‘T-junction’. In Chinese there's also 工字鋼 'I-beam'. It's hard to imagine these physical shapes have anything to do with hybridization.

Rainbowlight

Spanish
    Yeah, 十字 is just a description of the shape which resembles the character 十. In English it would probably be called an X shape. There's also 丁字, for example 丁字路 ‘T-junction’. In Chinese there's also 工字鋼 'I-beam'. It's hard to imagine these physical shapes have anything to do with hybridization.
    Thank you.

Rainbowlight

Spanish
    For future reference, the WR dictionary gives the answer to your first question. As for the second, 十字 literally just means the numeral ten, so there is no way that it could be related to hybridization.
    Why not look at the character 十 as a clear, simple, graphic depiction of a hybrid or a crossing? After all, it is drawn using two perpendicular intersecting lines. Just my thought.

SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    Sorry if I'm confusing what you're confusing.
    But I think you're confusing probably because the "cross" equivalent Spanish word has the same multiple meanings in it.

For example, let's think about the English word, "right."
    The opposite of "left" is "right" or 右 in Japanese.
    The opposite of "wrong" is "right" or 正しい in Japanese.
    The same spelling English word "right" has at least two different meanings, you know? And they may not be interchangable in other languages.

When you say, "Turn right at the next intersection," you can say 次の交差点をに曲がってください. But you cannot say 次の交差点を正しい方に曲がってください.(Turn to the correct(right) direction, which might be left according to the situation.)
    If you dare use the same word 右 for "right(correct)", it brings about fatal mis-communiccation, you know.

Is this clear so far? If you don't understand this, just forget it.

Likewise, "cross" has a lot of meanings.
    You can check them by putting "cross" into the box at the top of this page, "English-Japanese" dictionary of WR, as gengo mentioned at #2.

The "cross" in the meaning of "hibridization" and the "cross" in the meaning of "two perpendicular intersecting lines" are just different in Japanese, which are 交配 and 十字, respectively.

Is it clear?
    Hope this helps!

Last edited: