hydrate and water

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
Hydrate/Water is changed into steam by heat and into ice by cold.

I'm not so sure of the meaning of "hydtrate," which seems to refer to "water," so I make a sentence to see if they are interchangeable. If not, how should I use it? Thanks.

• Driven

USA/English
    No, they are not interchangeable. Hydrate means to nourish/supply with water. If a plant is really dry and you give it water, you are hydrating it. When you drink water, you are hydrating yourself. Hydrate is a verb. Hydration is the noun. (Hydration means the process of supplying water). It is important to keep up your hydration so you have enough energy. The hydration of plants is a key component in caring for them. Etc.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Driven.
    Just to make sure, my dictionary states that hydrate can be a noun, which means chemical compound of water with another sudstance.
    This definition is very abstract to me; I haven't the slightest idea of its referent.

Avignonais

USA
    USA, Anglophone
    Hi,
    Yes, hydrate, the noun is used in chemistry, and has a very specific meaning. You can google it.

Your confusion comes from the fact that hydrate (verb) can replace water (verb).
    You can hydrate a plant (as Driven mentioned) and you can also water a plant. Same thing.

Cristina Allende

US, English
    Yes, I think it can be used as a noun in Chemistry and such. When I think of it as a noun, I think of something mixed with water, not just plain water. In everyday language, though, hydrate is not interchangeable with water (as a noun).

Driven

USA/English
    The sodium hydrate is used in many medicines. (Sodium hydrate = sodium chemically combined with water. I just made up the part about medicines, I don't know what a sodium hydrate is actually used for!)

Driven

USA/English
    Thanks Trisia! You are so resourceful! Here I am making up stuff to use as an example and you have the real stuff at your fingertips. Thanks!

< Previous | Next >