hydrate or rehydrate

< Previous | Next >

meijin

Japanese
Hi, if I search the web by typing "how to replenish your body" in the search box, I get results with titles like "5 Ways to Replenish Your Energy", "3 Nutrients to Replenish Your Body", etc.
But if I search with
"how to rehydrate your body", I get results with titles like "4 Ways To Quickly Hydrate Your Body", "How to Hydrate When Dehydrated", etc.

When lots of nutrients have been used and lost from your body, you eat food, take supplements, etc. to replenish nutrients, not plenish.
Judging from the search results, when lots of water has been lost from your body, you drink water etc. to hydrate your body, not rehydrate.

Do you ever use the word rehydrate? Only when you mean "hydrate again"?

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    If something has been deliberately dried we use "rehydrate" when we reconstitute it to its original texture (instant food, for example). I think in your example, we use hydrate to prevent complete/toxic loss of body fluid - in the sense of remaining in or getting back to a state of (proper) hydration.

Plenish is a rare word (I've never heard it, although it's in the dictionary , but marked as Scottish :D)

meijin

Japanese
    If something has been deliberately dried we use "rehydrate" when we reconstitute it to its original texture (instant food, for example).
    Thanks for this Julian. I now know when to use the word. It can be used for dried wakame seaweed, freeze-dried tofu, dried shiitake mushrooms, etc. etc. :)

< Previous | Next >