hyphen between "third" and "year"

Jessienuan

Chinese-Mandarin
Hello!

I would like to express "It is a third year undergraduate course." Should I use hyphen between "third" and "year" or not?

Thank you!

• Packard

USA, English
    I suppose you could; I would not unless it is a designated course name such as:

• first-year undergraduate English
    • second-year undergraduate English
    • third-year undergraduate English

In the college I attended we had English 101 which was a freshman (first year) undergraduate course.
    We had English 201 which was a second year course and 301 which was a third year course, etc.

But the name of the course was not "third-year" it was "301". So in a sentence I would write:

He was taking English 301, which was a third year undergraduate course.

Linkway

British English
    "It is a third year undergraduate course."
    The precise meaning of the word "course" is very context-sensitive - even in educational contexts.

Do you mean?
    --- "It is a three-year undergraduate course" (i.e.the course as a whole is three years long.)
    OR:
    --- "It is a third-year undergraduate course" (i.e. it is a course which is part of the third-year of the course, even though the degree course overall might be 3, 4 or more years.)

Jessienuan

Chinese-Mandarin
    The precise meaning of the word "course" is very context-sensitive - even in educational contexts.

Do you mean?
    --- "It is a three-year undergraduate course" (i.e.the course as a whole is three years long.)
    OR:
    --- "It is a third-year undergraduate course" (i.e. it is a course which is part of the third-year of the course, even though the degree course overall might be 3, 4 or more years.)
    Thank you for pointing this out. I mean the second one.

< Previous | Next >