Senior Member
I and my friend were talking in English about one girl, who always causes scenes even if everything goes well, she can think of an excuse to cause a scandal. In Russian we have a word, coming from the word scandal. But I cannot find any equivalent in English besides "she is hysterical". But I feel it's not even close.
  • london calling

    Senior Member
    UK English
    We have a word, scandalmonger, which means

    a person who creates or spreads reports about actions and events that cause public shock and disapproval

    (Source: Cambridge Dictionary)

    but I don't honestly think that that is what you mean, if I have understood the context correctly. I may well call a girl who is always causing scenes on purpose 'a trouble-maker'. By the way, I agree 'hysterical' means something different.


    Senior Member
    British English (Sussex)
    What kind of scenes? (I think "scandal" in English may be the wrong word, but I can't quite get what sort of person this would be :)).

    Do you mean the sort of person who'll go to a nice restaurant and manage to find fault with everything, upset the waiter, refuse to pay the bill, etc., thus spoiling everyone else's enjoyment?


    Senior Member
    English - U.S.
    Yes, a scandal and a scene are two very different things in English. We need to know to which you are referring.

    A slang phrase for someone who causes a lot of scenes is a drama queen.

    Look for the definition of tantrum. Is that close to what you mean?
    < Previous | Next >