iść na górę vs iść do góry

< Previous | Next >

Rusak963

Polish
Hello,
I would like to ask, which of the phrases do you use, when , for example, you want to say that you are going upstairs? Is it 'idę na górę' or idę do góry'? I use the phrase 'idę na górę'.
To be frank, I thought that 'iść do góry' was incorrect but after counsulting PWN's counselling centre (http://poradnia.pwn.pl/lista.php?kat=18&szukaj=gruchmanowej) it turns out that it is not.
Would you please comment on this?

Thanks in advance.

• PawelBierut

Polish - Poland
    I also use the phrase idę na górę in my opinion it refers to the destination that i'm going to... As I see it 'idę do góry' refers to the direction -- so what I'm usually saying is where I go (what is my destination) instead of in which direction I go.

Faycelina

Polish
    Iść na górę you can use for example when you're in at least 2-floor-house. You're on the ground frool and the bathroom downstairs is occupied, you say "idź na górę do łazienki".

Iść do góry you can say in the city talking about direction. "Idź w górę/do góry ulicą Ślężną, za 200 m skręć w lewo".

So as PawelBierut said, it's about destination and direction :) I just wanted to give you some examples.

< Previous | Next >