I’ll be poked

jacdac

Lebanese
‘The Snab,’ Iota said in a wondering voice. ‘I saw the Snab and didn’t even know. I’ll be poked.’
‘It didn’t speak to me,’ I said.
< ----- >
source: Fairy Tale by Stephen King

i wonder what Iota mean with: I’ll be poked? ridiculed?

Thank you.

< Edited to comply with 4-sentence limit on quotation (Rule 4). Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    I haven't heard it before, but it sounds like another way to say something like I'll be damned. That is a standard way to express the idea that the speaker thinks that something is surprising.

pops91710

English, AE/Spanish-Mexico
    I’ll be poked
    I'll be a monkey's uncle
    I'll be hanged
    I'll be darned
    If that don't beat all. (rural)

All expressions meaning ultimate shock or surprise, as owlman5 stated.

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Again, we come up against the idea that King is notorious for coining his own type of phraseology when us lesser mortals will use such terms as @pops91710 has listed above.

suzi br

English / England
    In BE, I'm rather partial to '(Well) I'll be blowed!'

(Please don't ask if 'blowed' is grammatically correct.)
    😂
    I hear ya.

Maybe this “poked” is a genuine American regional variation, not a Kingism.
    I got the impression (at post #3) that Pops has heard it before, presumably in America.

pops91710

English, AE/Spanish-Mexico
    I got the impression (at post #3) that Pops has heard it before, presumably in America.
    Not really. I served in the military for 7 years with hundreds of men from all over the USA. None had more colorful sayings than the southerners and the only thing I can remember hearing using poke(d) was "It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick", or "It's better than being poked in the eye with a sharp stick" with all kinds of other imaginative variations. Now, that's not to say I haven't heard it a time or two but we are talking almost 50 years ago and my memory of those days are fading.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I got the impression he was doing his best, just like everyone else, trying to figure out Stephen King. If context doesn't tell you, then who knows. There's no real answer.