I’ll be there for you

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I ran across a term "I’ll be there for you", then I use my Chinese google, all results are lyrics, but accroding to the daily oral English, it means "I will support you."

"I really want to go abroad, dad"

"However difficult it will be, I will be there for you"

"Will you come to support me in the playoff?"

"I'll be there for you"

Hi, all does these two make sense in each context?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Uriel-

American English
    It makes sense in the first one.

The second one is a little iffy, unless the first speaker is somehow involved the playoff. Did you mean to say "Will you come to support me in the playoff?"

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    It makes sense in the first one.

The second one is a little iffy, unless the first speaker is somehow involved the playoff. Did you mean to say "Will you come to support me in the playoff?"

Yeah, I forgot "me", so it makes sense, right?

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Greetings,

What does "I'll be there for you" really mean? Can it mean: I will help and support you? I love you? You can always count on me?

For example, is it correct to be used in this sentence?

Whenever you travel to Iran, just let me know, I'll be there for you.

Barque

Tamil
    What does "I'll be there for you" really mean?
    It depends on context.
    Can it mean: I will help and support you? I love you? You can always count on me?
    It could mean the first or the third.
    Whenever you travel to Iran, just let me know, I'll be there for you.
    What's the context? What does the speaker want to say? (You need a full stop after "know", not a comma.)

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    A net friend of mine wrote me some lines and at the end she said:"In case you ever visit USA let me know I promise to be helpful."
    In reply, I wrote some lines and for finishing the e-letter, I added "Whenever you travel to Iran, just let me know. I'll be there for you".

Is it correct? And, does it mean what it is supposed to mean? (helping her and counting on me)

Barque

Tamil
    In that context, she'd probably understand that you mean you'll be available to help but it doesn't sound suitable in that context. It sounds too strong for the context.

It's better suited to situations where your help will make a lot of difference and there's some amount of personal connection between the people involved. In your situation, I'd say something like: You can always contact me if you need help with anything in Iran.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Thank you.
    So, "I'll be there for you" is used when there is personal connection or emotional relationship between two people, right?

Barque

Tamil
    "Whenever you travel to Iran, just let me know.
    I wanted to mention this earlier but forgot. Perhaps off-topic but your use of "travel to Iran" suggests you're not in Iran yourself. Also, "Whenever" suggests you know that your American friend is going to visit Iran at some point. It might be better to say "If you ever come to Iran...".

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    I wanted to mention this earlier but forgot. Perhaps off-topic but your use of "travel to Iran" suggests you're not in Iran yourself. Also, "Whenever" suggests you know that your American friend is going to visit Iran at some point. It might be better to say "If you ever come to Iran...".
    Very helpful point. Thanks a lot Barque :)

< Previous | Next >