I’ll not be shamed because...

joel123

persian
Does the bold part convey the idea that "the King thinks they are unnerved by witchcraft or treason and he will not listen to them to shame himself"? Did I understand it correctly?

[The king is talking to his advisers.] "With your womanish counsels (ever shying from the true point, which is one of policy) you have done the very opposite of your intent. I had meant to refuse it {the challenge}. But I’ll accept it. < ---- > I’ll not be shamed because some witchcraft or treason has frozen both your bloods."

Prince Caspian, by C. S. Lewis

< Quotation reduced to comply with 4-sentence limit on quotations. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with you about the first part: the king thinks they have been unnerved, so he will not listen to them.

Perhaps we also agree on the second part. That is, the king would be shamed if he refused the challenge (whatever it is) and so he is going to accept it. He says he had intended to refuse the challenge, but something changed his mind. Possibly what changed his mind was something his advisers said, but I don't know from the information we have been given.

Who is he talking to? Why do you think he changed his mind?

joel123

persian
    I agree with you about the first part: the king thinks they have been unnerved, so he will not listen to them.

Perhaps we also agree on the second part. That is, the king would be shamed if he refused the challenge (whatever it is) and so he is going to accept it. He says he had intended to refuse the challenge, but something changed his mind. Possibly what changed his mind was something his advisers said, but I don't know from the information we have been given.

Who is he talking to? Why do you think he changed his mind?
    Thank you so much. :)

The King is talking to Lord Sopespian and Lord Glozelle. They were in the King's army and wanted to usurp the throne. They were trying to bring the King to the challenge. They deceived him and he accepted the challenge.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'I'll not be shamed' is a refusal (or a defiance): I refuse to be shamed. Miraz is telling them that even if they are afraid of the outcome, he is not. (He was such a patsy. How did he last so long as king if he was so easily manipulated?)