I’m hip huckster’s grin on his face

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
What does the bolded phrase below mean ?
The silver bowl of the rapidly swinging spade sends a Wake up! Wake up! sunflash across the heat-dazed, sweat-sticky surface of the crowd. Lisey’s husband is suddenly Scott the Pitchman, and she has never been so relieved to see that totally untrustworthy honey, I’m hip huckster’s grin on his face. He has bummed them out; now he will try to sell them a throatful of dubious get-well medicine, the stuff with which he hopes to send them home.

This is an extract from Lisey's Story by Stephen King. In a monolog, Lisey reminisces the events leading to the shooting of her late husband Scott, a prolific writer. In this scene, Scott is inaugurating the construction of a library site and hence the reference to the spade that Scott swings.

Thank you.

• pob14

American English
    I'm reading it as

that totally untrustworthy, "Honey, I'm hip!" huckster's grin

In other words, an untrustworthy grin typical of a huckster, one that would be used by the same sort of person who would say something like "Honey, I'm hip."

Edit: Huckster = a person who sells small, overpriced junk.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I'm reading it as

that totally untrustworthy, "Honey, I'm hip!" huckster's grin

In other words, an untrustworthy grin typical of a huckster, one that would be used by the same sort of person who would say something like "Honey, I'm hip."

Edit: Huckster = a person who sells small, overpriced junk.
    :thumbsup: Or one who sells things fraudulently.

< Previous | Next >