I’m rattling with caffeine

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
‘I’ll get Sandy to come back and work with you, as soon as he’s finished with Craig Henderson’s folks. <…>’
‘Tell him to bring some cans of Coke with him,’ Vicki said. ‘I think better when I’m rattling with caffeine. I can picture the scenario more clearly.’
Source: Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves
Context: Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez and Chief Investigator Officer Willow Reeves have ust dropped Vicki Hewit, the CSI at the crime scene location. Detective constable Sandy had interviewed Craig Henderson, the last tenant of the property of the crime scene.

What does rattle with (caffeine) mean? full with?

Gloss:
rattle: talk rapidly.

Thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Since rattling with liquid doesn’t make much sense, it’s presumably related to the sort of remark often made by people who have to take a lot of medication, to the effect that they’re so full of pills that they “rattle”.

User With No Name

English (U.S.)
    Since rattling with liquid doesn’t make much sense, it’s presumably related to the sort of remark often made by people who have to take a lot of medication, to the effect that they’re so full of pills that they “rattle”.
    :thumbsup:
    Also, for some reason "rattling" suggests "shaking" or "trembling" to me, even though I don't know that there is any specific justification for that impression.

kentix

English - U.S.
    For a rattle to work it has to be shaken so the two parts can knock against each other.

< Previous | Next >