I’m so hungry. I could eat a horse and then some.

• Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    It means "and even more". It gives greater emphasis to whatever came before. Hang me for a prescriptionist, but I would never use in writing, except maybe in a chatty letter to a friend.

Wookie

Korea, Korean
    Baikonur is the Russian Cape Canaveral, and then some. (source)

What does "some" refer to?
    Is there any stock phrase like "and then some"?
    What does that mean?

adventrue

Banned
    German
    Please can someone tell me what "and then some" means in the following sentence?

"If you ask me, PJ never, ever had a good enough rhythm section after Dry. Those three together sounded more like the best aspects of Albini than Albini ever did, and then some. "

Jenny*

England - English
    It means "even more so", so I think in this context it means that those three sounded even better than Albini ever did.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Some' here idiomatically means "some more". I can't think of another context where it means that. Think of the best, and then think of some more even better than that - that's how good it was.

Reborn34

Portuguese
    Hi folks,

Are the constructions below commonly used by native speakers?

John:I think it takes a long time.
    Anna:A long time and then some!

John:That place is beautiful!
    Anna:Beautiful and then some!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There are other examples of the use of and then some.

And for more examples of this phrase in context, click on in context.

Is it commonly used?
    In my experience, no, but it is familiar and I wouldn't think it odd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reborn34

Portuguese
    Hi Folks,

Thank you for answering my questions!The last question about this topic is:Can I use "beautiful and then some","cold and then some",etc as a quick and short comment?

Thank you in davance!

Last edited:

llenguado

English - England
    The expression "and then some" is usually used in a nonsensical way to emphasize or exaggerate a point.
    To become a champion in any sport you must practise every day, and then some.
    To get promotion at my office you must work 24 hours a day and then some.
    I gave it all my attention ... and then some.

It is a newish expression and would only be used informally amongst friends. It might also be used split between two speakers.

Person A: "To get promotion at our office you must work every hour God sends."
    Person B (in agreement): " ...and then some."

JamesM

I wouldn't say it was a newish expression. It has been around for at least a hundred years. Here are a couple of examples from books.google.com:

Scribner's Magazine, Volume 45, 1909

It was Potter -- calling Winford all the foul names you ever heard, and then some.

Herald and Presbyter, Volume 91, 1920

The kid's father called me in night before last, and asked questions till I was blue in the face, and I told him all I told you -- and then some!

Last edited:

azz

armenian
    Can one say:

a. After four years and some, we finally met again.
    b. After four years and then some, we finally met again.
    (Meaning: "After over four years...", which is what I'd say)

Is this usage informal?
    Does it imply that the amount spoken of (here the 'four years and then some ' is great?

EStjarn

Spanish
    Can one say: a. After four years and some, we finally met again. b. After four years and then some, we finally met again.
    Some cannot by itself carry the meaning 'some more time;' it needs a reference to the word time in order to do that: After four years' time and then some. a) In the first sentence, it's unclear whether some functions as a pronoun referring back to years or is an adjective modifying an omitted noun such as months or time. b) In the second sentence, it's quite clear that some functions as a pronoun (Ref.), which gives the phrase the interpretation, After four years and then some more years.

< Previous | Next >