- I _______ the book but when I heard what the critics said I changed my mind.

ali7772016

arabic egypt
- I _______ the book but when I heard what the critics said I changed my mind.
a) was going to buy
b) would have bought
c) was buying
d) am going to buy
Am I right?

• Myridon

English - US
    c works too - while I waited in line to purchase it, I noticed a review, read it and changed my mind
    I am going to buy the book even though I changed my mind about buying the book?
    I think that only works all in present tense as if telling a story.
    I am going to buy the book when I hear what the critics say about it and I change my mind.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    c works too - while I waited in line to purchase it, I noticed a review, read it and changed my mind
    I am going to buy the book even though I changed my mind about buying the book?
    I think that only works all in present tense as if telling a story.
    I am going to buy the book when I hear what the critics say about it and I change my mind.
    "am going to buy" is answer D. I suggested answer C ("was buying").

But it is interesting that even D could be correct, in a certain context. It seems context is very important.

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I was buying the book but when I heard what the critics said I changed my mind.
    I handed three books to the clerk with a hearty "Hello, Geoffrey! I think three is my limit today. How are the children?"

"They are all fine, Mr. Billings, thank you. Busy as bees with their studies. Let me just figure up your total. Oh dear...." he said, staring at the third book.

"What is it, Geoffrey?"

"This author, Amanda P. A. Pandandy - is she a favorite of yours?"

"No, never heard of her. I just thought it looked interesting. Do you know the book?"

"You're a loyal customer, Mr. B, and I won't give you a bum steer. All the critics said it was wretched, amateurish at best. But it's for you to decide."

"Thank you for your kindness Geoffrey. I will just take the other two."

< Previous | Next >