I accidentally gave them the address wrong/gave them the...

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

Is it acceptable to say "I accidentally gave them the address wrong" instead of "I accidentally gave them the wrong address"?

To me the second version may suggest that I had several addresses in mind and I mistakenly chose the wrong one. There is no such confusion in the first version, but I'm not sure it works. It might be that there's only one set way of saying this (version #2).

Thanks!

• ewie

English English
    Hi Susanna. Yes on all counts.

... gave them the address wrong ~ I said '23 Elm Street' instead of '32 Elm Street'
    ... gave them the wrong address ~ I said '23 Elm Street, Bumley' instead of '449 Dump Road, Sparklington'

Last edited:

vocabaholic

Italian
    I think the first sentence is not correct. The second one is ok, but it could mean that you provided a different address which was the wrong one. What about:"I accidently made a mistake when I gave them the address" or "There is a mistake in the address I gave them" or even "The address I gave them is incorrect"
    However, Lets see what others say.

susanna76

Romanian
    Thanks, ewie, so much! That's what I thought but I can never be sure of certain things. I always doubt myself :). Thanks again!

ewie

English English
    I think the first sentence is not correct. The second one is ok, but it could mean that you provided a different address which was the wrong one. What about:"I accidently made a mistake when I gave them the address" or "There is a mistake in the address I gave them" or even "The address I gave them is incorrect".
    It's correct enough for me, Vocabaholic ~ wrong is an adverb as well as an adjective (I spelt it wrong; You're doing it wrong, etc.)

All your alternatives are good too, except for the word accidentally:)

< Previous | Next >