I acquired data using EXCEL and other tools, which...

clandry

Banned
American English
The sentence is "I acquired data using EXCEL and other tools, which were analyzed ."
I wrote this sentence, but I'm a bit confused at my own sentence.

With the way the sentence is worded, what is being analyzed? Obviously, I want to say that the data were analyzed. I hope I'm not saying that EXCEL and other tools were analyzed.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I'm afraid you are saying what you don't want to say.  In general, you put a relative clause (which were analyzed) after the word it should describe. If you mean that you used the tools to analyze the data, you could say:

I acquired data which were analyzed using EXCEL and other tools.

If you want to say that you acquired data using Excel and other tools and then analyzed it, you will have to say this differently:

I acquired data using EXCEL and other tools, and analyzed it.

clandry

Banned
    American English
    I'm afraid you are saying what you don't want to say. In general, you put a relative clause (which were analyzed) after the word it should describe. If you mean that you used the tools to analyze the data, you could say:

I acquired data which were analyzed using EXCEL and other tools.

If you want to say that you acquired data using Excel and other tools and then analyzed it, you will have to say this differently:

I acquired data using EXCEL and other tools, and analyzed it.
    Thank you. What if the sentence had been ""I acquired data using EXCEL, which were analyzed ."
    Is data the thing being analyzed now?

sdgraham

USA English
    First of all, the Excel program cannot acquire data. It just sits there waiting for you do something with it.

Secondly, you're treating Excel as a plural and saying you analyzed Excel, rather than the data.

Cagey tried graciously to help you out. I suggest you heed the suggestions.

Last edited:

clandry

Banned
    American English
    First of all, the Excel program cannot acquire data. It just sits there waiting for you do something with it.

Secondly, you're treating Excel as a plural and saying you analyzed Excel, rather than the data.

Cagey tried graciously to help you out. I suggest you heed the suggestions.
    Which part of my post suggested that I was ignoring his/her suggestion? I was simply asking the meaning of a different case.
    Data is plural which is why I used were. That's why I asked because apparently, it's incorrect. I don't understand what was wrong with me asking that.

EXCEL is a program that can be linked with other programs to collect data. It's used for data acquisition.

sdgraham

USA English
    EXCEL is a program that can be linked with other programs to collect data. It's used for data acquisition.
    If you're talking about Microsoft Excel, (not EXCEL) perhaps you can explain how the program can acquire data without human intervention, i.e. importing it. (If there's something there I don't know about, I'm willing to learn)

From Wikipedia:

Data acquisition is the process of sampling signals that measure real world physical conditions and converting the resulting samples into digital numeric values that can be manipulated by a computer. Data acquisition systems (abbreviated with the acronym DAS or DAQ) typically convert analog waveforms into digital values for processing. The components of data acquisition systems include:

Or are you talking about some other software that infringes on Microsoft's trademark?

< Previous | Next >