I adore playing football

Cecilio

Spanish, Valencian/Catalan
Hello. Does this sentence, "I adore playing football", sound possible in English? I'm not sure about this use of the verb 'adore'.

• Sharifa345

USA
    US English, DR Spanish
    It does work, grammatically. It does sound a little odd, on its own. I would use "adore" only to stress something, add emphasis.

Do you like football?
    Like it? I adore playing football!

Copyright

American English
    If you're a male footballer, you'll probably want to skip this verb -- adore sounds pretty feminine in the context.

Cecilio

Spanish, Valencian/Catalan
    If you're a male footballer, you'll probably want to skip this verb -- adore sounds pretty feminine in the context.
    I didn't know it sounded feminine. in any case, I read the sentence in a composition written by one of my students, who happens to be a woman. One possible problem is that the text was supposed to be formal, so maybe it's not the best option.

Sharifa345

USA
    US English, DR Spanish
    I did not think of this, but you are absolutely right. I imagine a bright-eyed girl clasping her hands together and screeching when I hear the word "adore."

boozer

Bulgarian
    In an essay that was supposed to be formal, I would give that student the benefit of the doubt and not penalise her for saying "I adore playing football". All the more so that she is, after all, a woman. :) And "adore" can be seen as a more formal word than "love" and "like", I think.

Now, if someone tells me that there is a big difference between formality and affectation, I will have to... agree. :D

Copyright

American English
    I think women are so adorable they can use adore for almost anything, so to answer the question: Yes, it's certainly possible in this woman's case.

< Previous | Next >