I also knew just what was going on

< Previous | Next >

Doggie doggie

chinese
Many years ago I was married to a man who shouted at me, " I don't give you the right to raise your voice to me, because you are a woman and I am a man." This was frustrating, because I knew it was unfair. But I also knew just what was going on. I ascribed his unfairness to his having grown up in a country where few people thought women and men might have equal rights.
Dear all, I am reading a book saying words are different from men and women. But I can't understand the meaning of the part in red. If it means I also knew what would happen in our marriage? Thanks.

DD

• G.R.Owl MP

English - Australian
    The line in red means that she understood the underlying reason for his attitude. While it was frustrating for her that he had that attirude, she knew that it was because of his upbringing, and therefore not entirely his fault.

Doggie doggie

chinese
    Thank you G.R.Owl MP, after reading your post, I found the definition of go on in my dictionary, it means to base an opinion or judgment on something. Am I right? Thanks.

mevolution

English, England
    I found the definition of go on in my dictionary, it means to base an opinion or judgment on something

An example of the use of "..go on" in this form might be.

"What's your opinion on this Peter?"
    "Well I'm not really sure."
    "I understand that you don't have all the facts available to you, but if you were to go on (base your opinion on) what Bob said previously....."

In the context of the passage you have quoted "......going on" simply means happening or occurring.

Hope this helps

< Previous | Next >