I am a little bit happy that you asked the question you asked

Flamingo66

England English
Hi,
I had said I was moody to a girl and she asked me why.
I want to say the following (tu)

[...] I am [...] a little bit happy that you asked the question you asked.'

Thanks in advance.

Moderator note: This thread was created by splitting it from another thread so that each expression had its own thread.

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    :) Hello Flamingo66, and welcome to the forum.

Would you like to try a translation? Then we will be happy to help you.

Flamingo66

England English
    whew....ok...here goes (hey...could you translate that too)

[...]
    Je suis [...] un peu heureux que tu as demandé à la question que tu as posée

mally pense

England, UK English
    Hi Flamingo66

Welcome to the forum! :)

You must be wondering at this point how many hoops you have to jump through to get some help! For myself, given that you have only just started out on the forum, I see no reason to hold back on giving you a little advice even while the matter of choosing a more suitable title for the post is in process.

I'm not really qualified to help on the whole sentence. I can see where it could be improved, but can't suggest what the improvement is. However, perhaps I can make a little contribution regarding the use of 'demander':

It is usual to specify who the question is being asked of, even though in English that is assumed, i.e. in English one can say "the question you asked" rather than "the question you asked me". In French, the second form is usually required, i.e. "tu m'as demandé" rather than "tu as demandé" in this example.

Also, the "à" relates to the person the question is being asked of, e.g. J'ai demandé quelquechose à quelqu'un. When "me" or "m'" is used, the "à" is no longer needed, hence is superflous (or in fact erroneous) in your text.

To summarise (and I sincerely hope for my sake and yours that I've got this right!), your "tu as demandé à la question..." should be "tu m'as demandé la question...".

That's probably not the only advice you need, though in fact you have made a good effort at the initial translation I think. Hopefully others will feel able to help also knowing that the matter of the subject line is in hand.

viera

English/French/Slovak
    Poser une question (not demander).

You can say:
    Il m'a demandé un renseignement.
    Il a demandé son chemin.
    Le prof m'a demandé pourquoi j'étais en retard.
    Pourquoi tu me demandes ça ?

But don't use both demander and question, it is considered redundant.
    Il pose toujours des questions embarrassantes.
    Tu poses trop de questions.
    C'est une très bonne question. Je vous remercie de me l'avoir posée.
    [...] et je suis plutôt content que tu m'aies posé cette question

mally pense

England, UK English
    viera, that makes sense. Sounds obvious now you've said it! :)

To everyone: I'm just wondering what difference the particular form of the original in English makes, namely "that you asked the question you asked". This is subtly different to "that you asked that question", or at least I think it is, though I'm struggling to explain even to myself how and why it is different. Does anyone have any thoughts on this as it might affect the translation (again perhaps only subtly). [EDIT] as per Vianney's suggestion above in fact].

Vianney

France
    Peut-être y a-t-il une nuance de ce type là :

"Je suis un peu content que tu m'aies posé cette question."

"Je suis un peu content que tu m'aies posé cette question-là."

< Previous | Next >