I am a little/slightly nearsighted.

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
Hello everyone!

What do native speakers say when you can't see things that are far from you well, but your eyesight is not too bad?
Do you say "I am a little/slightly nearsighted."??

Thank you.

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hello kyotan, in my opinion most BE speakers wouldn't say "I'm nearsighted", although it's correct. Despite being a little short-sighted, I see ;) that this is your second sight-related query in quick succession. What is your context for these phrases? Are you intending to use them in everyday conversation, or are you translating some kind of optical-related material?

I can't see very well in the distance, I need glasses to see things in the distance, etc.

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
    Thank you, Enquiring Mind for your answer.

Actually, I am not intending to use these sentences in real life.
    I sometimes ask questions on Chinese in English in the Chinese forum here, and I had a question about a sentence I had in my Chinese textbook that said "I am slightly presbyopic." but I did not know the right English sentence to ask a question in the Chinese forum...!

Then I started to wonder about the right phrase for "short-sited" too, so I asked this question here as well:)

If you want to talk about your physical condition/eyesight, do you say "I am short-sited." or do you prefer "
    I can't see very well in the distance, I need glasses to see things in the distance,"?

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Well the shorter, the better (except where sight is concerned :D), so "I'm (a bit/a little) short-sighted" is what most people would say and would be understood by everyone. But you could say the other versions too.

Myridon

English - US
    In American English, we do say "near-sighted." "Short-sighted" only has the "lacking imagination" meaning.

< Previous | Next >