I am a mirrored rumble fish

• Brioche

Australia English
    I'm too far gone to understand the lyrics of a song by Sixpence None the Richer.

"Rumble Fish" is the title of a book, and the film made from it.
    I believe "Rumble Fish" was the nick-name of one of the characters.

No idea what it means.

mexican3051

mexico(spanish)
    yes youre right its a song of sixpence-ntr I really dont know what is the meaning of rumble and what does it means in the sentence and when can i use it?? I think you like that group or you hate it thats why you know the lyric.

thanks

thacerine

USA
    USA (English)
    I'm a native English speaker and a long-time Sixpence fan and I can say quite honestly that I have no idea what that line means :)

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Could somebody tell me what does it means? I would apreciate your help.
    Here I go with my lecture on pop music...:) Don't try too hard to understand it. A lot of popular music songwriters let their imaginations take hold and write a lot of nonsense. Another line from the same song is "Life is so clenching for the kill" - aside from what it means, is it even grammatical? Who knows?

P.S. Forum rules require that we try our best to use proper capitalization, punctuation, etc.

dakel

USA- English
    Sixpence did Christian songs too. If that is a Christian song, maybe it is intended as a metaphor: that like the rumble fish, the singer can only see a very limited reality. Maybe it's a metaphor for selfishness and small-mindedness, like e.ma suggested: the singer spends too much time looking at himself and his own very limited idea of reality. That could be a stretch as Dimcl suggests, but then again musicians often are thinking of something that makes sense to them while they write lyrics. They may be grammatically incorrect or strange, but that doesn't mean they are random words (unless we're talking about Bernie Taupin with Elton John... can't figure most of those out!!) =)

You'll have to be the judge of what it means by evaluating it in the context of the rest of the song (which I have never heard).

dakel

USA- English
    I guess I read between the lines! I think you were on the right track. I would have had no idea what a rumblefish was, if not for you! The fact that he sees everything in a distorted way except for some fish... sounds to me like a metaphor for small minded thinking. The mirrors seem to me to refer to selfishness or narcissism- like someone only sees himself and his own ideas.

e.ma

Spain, Spanish
    Ok, your reading might be the right one if they are really speaking from a Christian take; I just think I was taking it more from the side of teenagers feeling that they have a big potential (colour) but the world surrounding does not support them at all (b&w).

dakel

USA- English
    I see what you mean, e.ma, but I don't think that metaphor fits with the use of rumble fish in the song, though it might with the movie. What makes you think the song is about teenagers? Also, it seems pretty clear that the song has Christian themes from the rest of the lyrics, especially the chorus, and that the band was famous for their Christian songs and origins in addition to their rock songs, from what I know.

e.ma

Spain, Spanish
    Ok, so I assume your interpretation is the right one, dakel.

I was thinking of teenagers only because the movie is in fact about teenagers: you are also right on that.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    As far as I can remember, the "rumble fish" in the book were Siamese fighting fish, which were called "rumble fish" because rumble is slang, particularly AmE 50s/60s slang, for fight.

While it's very interesting, I'm not sure that we can assume the reference to rumble fish has anything to do with only seeing the world in black and white. The lyrics quoted (which, by the way, have to be limited to four lines according to the forum rules) don't suggest that a lack of colour perception is important or relevant.

I'm not sure that anyone can say what is meant by "mirrored rumble fish" except the author of the song, but my inclination is that it is reflecting the potentially violent anger felt by the narrator (if narrator is what we call the first person perspective in a song!) He/she is like a rumble fish, angry and spoiling for a fight. Why mirrored ... I have no idea!

EDIT: Gor - next time I'll look closely at the posting dates! :p Thanks, Panj. And for explaining the "mirrored" bit.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A small point - this thread began in November 2005 and was "resurrected" by thacerine's post: ... I can say quite honestly that I have no idea what that line means.
    The original poster has not been online since February 2007.

If you present a Siamese fighting fish with a mirror, he will go into the pre-fight presentation behaviour - provoked by his own reflection.

e.ma

Spain, Spanish
    Reading cycloneviv's (and in disregard of the original poster's indifference ;)), which has brought to my mind more of the film, I'd say a mirrored rumble fish could then be someone that's opposed for a fight with himself.

(...but panjadrum's last line wasn't there when I wrote this...)

dakel

USA- English
    Yes, I think that fits too. The lyrics seem to be describing his struggle with himself, not able to break free from his.. well I was going to reference the lyrics to the song, but it appears they have been deleted. Pardon me, but they do seem to be quite essential to understanding the phrase at hand, even if they are a bit long. Surely they are no longer than the several pages of posts that exist for some threads. Please be careful not to impede the discussion by deleting pertinent information.

steevjanpan

English
    I take my falls, hands pulled behind my back
    you made the knot and didn't leave much slack
    I am a mirrored rumble fish
    My fists are clenching for the kill

A rumble fish is a fighting fish. In the book/movie, Rumblefish was a gangster who, try as he may, could not live down his reputation.

In the song, this implies a loss of control and a desire to become a good person (or less myopic), or fighting without good reason (rather than using leverage?). The girl needs help getting out of her rut; in other words she's praying for a good strong man who has a sense of compassion/intimacy to save her. She was in a bad relationship mode (possibly with life itself) which made her into a bitch, knows better now, but can't shake it off.

To me, "mirrored" means "Fragile" or "All bark and no real bite". Meaning that she knows that she's still a kind and gentle person at her core. It also means that she is reactive rather than understanding, in other words, she'll reflect back bad energy if bad energy is projected at her, ie has a hairy trigger.

And the grand o'l summary meaning of the song is: People are chimps.

No need to thank me... very few people understand human nature ;o)

Last edited:

RenanS

Portuguese-English-Spanish
    Hello everybody!
    I'm a Sixpence None the Richer fan and I believe I know what it's means!!!

Rumble fish is a very agressive fish that attacks it's own image reflected on a mirror or in anything else.
    So, I belive that when she sings "I am a mirrored rumble fish", she means that her actions hurts her, somehow.

< Previous | Next >