I am afraid I would miss out on something

• london calling

UK English
    Context: A girl who is very sick and might not survie says that she is afraid of dying as she can miss on many things.
    Hello!

Let me correct your English first.....

....she is afraid of dying as she would miss out on many things.

In Italian (but I suggest you wait for the natives!):

...ha paura di morire perchè vorrebbe dire perdersi tante cose belle (della vita).

Ciao!

merse0

Italy - Italian
    ....she is afraid of dying as she would miss out on many things.

... teme di morire perché significherebbe perdere molte cose belle della vita

armour65

United States English
    Hi Everybody. I apologize for raising an old thread, but to convey the idea of "miss out on something," are both "perdere" and "perdersi" interchangeable?

For example:

Non voglio perdere l'occassione di conoscere Laura alla festa.
    Non voglio perdermi l'occassione di conoscere Laura alla festa.

I've seen both forms used and am not sure if both are equally acceptable...?

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    They are - there is a slight difference between them , the pronoun in dativ ( we have residues of that in pronouns ) adds the meaning of 'in favor of', or in this case, 'at someone's disadvantage'.

The meaning is very easy to understand if you think of "buying" :

" Voglio comprare un libro" / " Voglio comprarmi un libro"

Now, with "comprare" you are adding a crucial piece of information with that "mi" - you are buying the book for yourself, not for somebody else.

With other verbs, such as "mangiare", "bere" , it is obvious that you are eating , drinking etc for yourself, not on behalf of somebody else, but still the "mi" emphasizes your direct interest in the matter, so to say.

This emphasis is more colloquial than the 'plain' construction - "ho mangiato una pizza" is what you would say to someone you are on formal terms with, with "mi sono mangiato una pizza" you are being somewhat more personal.

I hope I have not made things worse.

xmas50

USA
    Italian - Italy
    Both forms are perfectly correct and interchangeable, maybe the second version

Non voglio perdermi l'occasione

has a more "personal" touch. For example:

Ho saputo che i miei colleghi hanno organizzato uno scherzo coi fiocchi a quell'antipatico di Giovanni e non voglio perdermi lo spettacolo

where you have a personal interest because you don't like Giovanni.

N.B. Occasione

armour65

United States English
    Thank you, both, for your help and quick responses! Both explanations are very clear and I have seen in the past those examples like "compro" and "mi compro." The difficulty (at least for me!) is figuring out when some of these verbs take on a completely different meaning when they become reflexive or if they simply, as you both said, reinforce a more "personal touch" to the sentence.

Sarà un'altra domanda per un'altra volta!

< Previous | Next >