I am afraid of being bitten by their dog

< Previous | Next >

Li singh

hindi
Hi
Their dog will bite me and I am afraid of it. Can these two clauses be joined as " I am afraid of being bitten by their dog" ?
Thanks

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I'm not so confident as Keith. The versions may be close to each other, but in other constructions/contexts, this might not be the case:

In (i) Their dog will bite me and (ii) I am afraid of it (= the dog) there are two facts.
    In " I am afraid {of being bitten by their dog"} gives your reason for being afraid - There is only one fact.

It does not say that you are afraid of the dog - only afraid of being bitten by it. It may be only a very small dog (but may have some horrible disease).

Li singh

hindi
    I'm not so confident as Keith. The versions may be close to each other, but in other constructions/contexts, this might not be the case:

In (i) Their dog will bite me and (ii) I am afraid of it (= the dog) there are two facts.
    In " I am afraid {of being bitten by their dog"} gives your reason for being afraid - There is only one fact.

It does not say that you are afraid of the dog - only afraid of being bitten by it. It may be only a very small dog (but may have some horrible disease).
    Can I use "it" for the situation /statement (Their dog will bite me) ?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Can I use "it" for the situation /statement (Their dog will bite me) ?
    No. "Their dog will bite me" is not a noun phrase/clause and therefore "it" (a pronoun) cannot be used.

The example would have to be: "Their dog will bite me and I am afraid of that happening."

Myridon

English - US
    Just to be specific: We have lost the firm prediction that the dog will bite. Someone might be afraid of being bitten by a dog even if they know the dog has never bitten anyone and its very unlikely.

< Previous | Next >