I am an intermediate student

maybe4ever

US english
Je suis un étudiant intermédiaire de français.
Je voudrais enseigner français une journée aussi.

Je veux dire: I am an intermediate student of french. I would like to teach french one day also.

Is this a good translation of what I want to say?

• yvandas

Canada, french
    Reffering to SwissPete's comments: I would leave the "un" in front of "étudiant" in this case. The second sentence could also be: Aussi, je voudrais enseigner le français un jour.

yvandas

Canada, french
    About the usage of un:
    Je suis un étudiant intermédiaire de/en français (en feels more natural)
    Je suis étudiant intermédiaire en français

Thanks! I was trying to express it that way :)
    You should use "un" instead of "en" although it may sound more natural to you.

yvandas

Canada, french
    I'm not sure I get your meaning (un and en are not synonyms and don't even have the same function in French)
    I need to corect my last post. You should say: Je suis un étudiant de français au niveau intermédiare. If you want to use "en" then you would say: J'étudie en français au niveau intermédiaire.

Staarkali

I think that may be local usage, in France the usage is to say étudiant en français, étudiant en maths, etc. as in étudiant en BTS, étudiant en école d'ingénieur, etc. which can be simply said étudiant en ingé, il est en BTS, il est en archi (i.e. architecture).

Usage may vary in other countries, besides you may be right about the strict grammar point of view :)

< Previous | Next >