1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    Bonjour tout le monde/Hi everyone,

The subject quotation is from Robert A. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. It means the speaker (Valentine Michael Smith, an orphan raised by Maritians) is too young and uneducated to understand properly what he is seeing or hearing. Of course, in the book much of the reason Smith doesn't understand is because what he is seeing and hearing is nonsensical, from a purely logical standpoint.

The phrase is in common use in certain limited circles in the U.S. (OK, among aging science fiction fans who are proud to be called geeks.:) ) Is there an equivalent phrase in French? (While I'm stretching both my literary and French knowledge past the breaking point, perhaps from Candide?) Or perhaps the Heinlein book has been transated into French and an "official" translation is available?

Merci d'avance.

2. CARNESECCHI Senior Member

Auvergne
    French / France
  3. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    Merci beaucoup. Je pouvais trouver "je ne suis qu'un oeuf" plusieurs fois avec Google, mais je n'étais pas sûr que la phrase veut dire le même sens.

4. Struckdumb New Member

English-USA
    The French translation of Heinlein uses "Je ne suis qu'un oeuf." I found it at google.fr.

If you were an Old Novice in 2006, you may now be too Old to still be interested. As an octogenarian myself (also an economic consultant, oddly enough), and francophone, I couldn't resist replying.

Struckdumb