I am grateful to you

Cosi1959

French, Belgium - Canada
How do you say in Italian ''I am grateful to you'' where you is a group of people one does not know, i.e. third person polite form - indirect object

I found the familiar form Vi sono grato (riconoscente)
but I am having trouble finding the polite form (Loro?)

thanks

• framo

italiano
    A bit of context could be useful, anyway: if you want the third person plural form then you would ask how to translate: "I am grateful to them", not "to you", right?

I am grateful to you = Vi sono grato / Sono grato a voi
    I am grateful to them = Gli sono grato / Sono grato a loro

Cosi1959

French, Belgium - Canada
    My context : I am grateful to you as a group. You are standing in front of a group and you tell the people there who are strangers that you are grateful to them....

''I am grateful to you''

framo

italiano
    My context : I am grateful to you as a group. You are standing in front of a group and you tell the people there who are strangers that you are grateful to them....

''I am grateful to you''
    I think "Vi sono grato" or (emphasizing) "Vi sono davvero grato" is the best answer. ;)

framo

italiano
    Isn't vi the familiar form?
    thanks for this!
    The second plural formal form would be "loro" but it is no longer used nowadays, since has been replaced by "voi".
    For example, the old formal correct form to say "You all are kind" is "Loro sono gentili" but nobody would say so today; we say: "Voi siete gentili".
    Similarly, nobody would say "Gli sono grato / sono grato a loro" to translate "I am grateful to you" instead of "Vi sono grato / Sono grato a voi".

Hope this help.:)

Cosi1959

French, Belgium - Canada
    thanks for clearing that up for me... I tried using Loro sono grato and google it but it didn't show up anywhere so I guess that explains it... Thank you very much.
    Italian sure is a beautiful language. And you know what, I discovered recently that ''you'' is actually the polite form in English, thou being like Du in German.
    Grazie!

primale

American English
    All'inzio ho imparato che il modo giusto di dire "I am grateful to you" è "Te ne sono grato" (I am grateful to you (of them)) e ho notato che si vuole dire "esserne" prima di grato. Ma ho visto un'altro post su questo sito (ecco il link: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=303298) e poi ho imparato che è anche corretto dire "sono grato ___" senza di "ne" (ne sono grato). Qualcuno vuole spiegare la differenza tra le due per me?

Anche apprezzerei se mi fate correzzioni sul mio post. ^_^ sono sicuro che è pieno di errori. grazie in anticipo.

< Previous | Next >