I am happy to play football.

Dilbarhossainchy

Bengali
Could you please let me know whether the sentence "I am happy to play football." means
"I am happy that I will play football." or "I am happy that I could play football/played football."?

Many many thanks in advance 🙏🙏

• boozer

Bulgarian
    The sentence refers to happiness in the general present time.

Whether this happiness relates to any particular instance of playing football - past, present, or future - is a matter of context, of which there is not any.

Most likely, for me, it refers to a proposal to play football, i.e. a future instance, but I cannot know for certain.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    In general, this form would be most likely to be used as a polite way of agreeing to play football when one is asked to do so.

How often such a situation would arise would, I suppose, depend on the circumstances of one's life. Where did you see the sentence, and in what context?

Uncle Jack

British English
    Where have you seen the sentence? As boozer says, context makes a huge difference. The first situation I imagined was that the speaker did not really want to play football but is reluctantly agreeing to do so, which is much the same as LVRBC's thought, although I sense a reluctance which LVRBC does not mention. The sentence is hardly enthusiastic.