I am heavier than you so I feel less cold.

< Previous | Next >

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
A : Why haven't you put on warmer clothes? Are you not cold?

B: No, I am not cold. I am heavier than you so I feel less cold.

A: And why is it so?

B: Because heavier people feel less cold than thinner people?

I am not sure whether this sentence is grammatically correct (I am heavier than you so I feel less less cold)?

Last edited:
  • rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    I suppose it could be if you put a comma after "you" but it sounds unnatural and not particularly logical.
    Thank you for the quick reply.
    It is logical heavier people feel less cold than thinner people. Whenever you go out at night just take time and observe that. Heavier people need less warm clothes than thinner people.

Anyway, are you saying my sentence is unnatural and illogical or my observations?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Heavier people need less warm clothes than thinner people.
    Not necessarily. You're perhaps referring to people with more fat under their skins. A person who's heavier than another might still have less fat, especially if he's much taller.
    are you saying my sentence is unnatural and illogical or my observations?
    Both. Your observations could make sense if they were worded differently.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    You've removed it from one place, not the other. But please leave it as it is now; editing your posts after they've been replied to can confuse things.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    There are a several issues here.

1. Grammar. "I am heavier than you so I feel the cold less." "Heavier people feel less cold than thinner people?" These sentences are correct.
    2. Science. Do bigger people suffer from cold less than slim people? This is debatable, but is outside the scope of this forum.
    3. Clarity. If we assume that people with a thicker layer of body fat feel the cold less, it would make more sense to say this. People who weigh more do not necessarily have more cold tolerance. A person two meters tall will weigh more than one who is one meter tall, even if he is very slim. So the issue is not weight but fat.
    4. Politeness. But, while it would be much more clear to say "Fatter people feel the cold less than thinner people," it is not polite to call someone fat. Though it is less impolite to say it of oneself rather than of someone else. So I can say to you "I don't feel the cold as much because I'm fatter than you," but it would be rude to say "I'm freezing! You don't notice the cold because you're fat."

MarcB

US English
    Without disagreeing with Sparky's point, I currently hear heavier as a euphemism for fatter. Decades ago I used to hear Stout as a euphemism for fat..

Packard

USA, English
    Without disagreeing with Sparky's point, I currently hear heavier as a euphemism for fatter. Decades ago I used to hear Stout as a euphemism for fat..
    And in women, "full figure".

It seems "porker" is out of fashion nowadays ("cow" too).

< Previous | Next >