I am in class room/I am in the class room

• Sr. Moose

Banned
    Frostbite Falls, Alces and English
    Hi. Your second example is correct. However, in a more general way we frequently say simply, 'I am in class.'

MissFit

I agree, your second sentence is the correct one. However, I usually see classroom written as a single word. (I work in a school.)

If I hear a teacher say, "I am in class," to me that means more than being in the room. It means that the students are there too, and class is in session. But that's just the way I would use the phrase--it may be used differently by other people or in other places.

Sr. Moose

Banned
    Sr. Moose said:
    Hi. Your second example is correct. However, . . . we frequently say, 'I am in class.'
    This is true if (1)one is in a class room, and (2) instruction is taking place.
    Cuchuflete's two requisites for the most part hold true for people who tend to talk to themselves. Real-life situations are different. For instance, if during a 10-minute break I find myself being pestered while headed to the restroom or making a bee-line for a cup of coffee or scurrying headlong toward a copy machine, I often say, "Sorry, can't stop, I'm in class."

:)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    What about people who talk to themselves, and persuade themselves that the thread topic involves taking a class, even without any context to support that supposition?

The question was "which of these is correct?"

1.I am in class room.
    2.I am in the class room.

I see nothing to persuade me that this is about a class, rather than a class room.

Even people who don't talk to themselves can be in a class room before or after a class takes place.

Sr. Moose

Banned
    The question was "which of these is correct?"

1.I am in class room.
    2.I am in the class room.

I see nothing to persuade me that this is about a class, rather than a class room.
    I do. Dr.Appalayya's first example appears very similar to another frequently used expression, and he may have been wondering.

'I'm in class 'til 5 o'clock, so I'll call you later this evening.'

:)