I am learning the best way <of playing> cricket

pratikgaya10

Hindi
I am learning the best way of playing cricket.
Is this sentence correct?. If Yes, Then how, since infinitive is used with learn verb.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "The best way of playing cricket" is a noun phrase, and "playing cricket" does not depend on the verb "learning".

I am [learning to play] cricket. The catenative verb "learn" is followed directly by a to infinitive. But learn can also be followed by a noun phrase or noun clause:

I am learning French/how to play cricket/the best way of playing cricket/the best way to play cricket.

Both of these are used, but I think the version with the infinitive is more common:

This is the best way to play cricket.
    This is
    the best way of playing cricket.

pratikgaya10

Hindi
    <Threads have been merged at this point by moderator (Florentia52)>

The best option is playing cricket or the best option is to play cricket.

Which is right?

Last edited by a moderator:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Praktikgaya's question presupposes that there is a "best way" to play cricket, or of playing cricket, but that is not a familiar concept to me.

I am learning the best way to dance the tango.
    I am learning the best way of dancing the tango.

If I say that, I must think that there is a "best way" of learning/to learn to dance, and perhaps there is. I'm guessing that the Argentinian way might be the best, but I can't dance the tango or play cricket. I can cook though :D.

I'm teaching my daughter the best way to make a traditional Christmas Pudding (i.e. my way;)).

If I heard someone talking about "someone learning the best way of making a Christmas Pudding" I would have no trouble with that phrasing, though I think the infinitive sounds more natural.

< Previous | Next >