I am no longer terrified of the Arabic language

< Previous | Next >

Andrew___

Hello,

I am trying to say:

"I am no longer terrified of the Arabic language. It frightened me in the past, but I now say to you:
O strange language! I will not rest until I conquer you! You used to seem like a lion to me, but I am sorry to inform you that you now seem like a squirrel. There are some chestnuts over there if you would like to help yourself to them!!!"

Can I say:

لم أعد أخاف من اللفة العربية. لقد ذعرتني في الماضي، ولكني أقول لكِ الآن: أياتها اللغة الغريبة – لن أنام حتى أتغلب عليكِ! كنتِ تبدين لي كأسد، ولكن يجب علي أن أخبركِ أنكِ مثل سنجاب الآن. ستجدين بعض الكستناءات هناك إذا أردتِ أن تأكلي شيئاً!!!

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :)

• ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Hello,

I am trying to say:

"I am no longer terrified of the Arabic language. It frightened me in the past, but I now say to you:
    O strange language! I will not rest until I conquer you! You used to seem like a lion to me, but I am sorry to inform you that you now seem like a squirrel. There are some chestnuts over there if you would like to help yourself to them!!!"

Can I say:

لم أعد أخشى الغة العربية. لقد أخافتني في الماضي، ولكني أقول لكِ الآن: أيتها اللغة الغريبة – لن أرتح حتى أتغلب عليكِ! كنتِ تبدين لي كأسد، ولكن معذرة إن قلت أنكِ كسنجاب الآن. ستجدين بعض الكستناءات هناك إذا أردتِ أن تأكلي شيئاً!!!

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :)
    :D:thumbsup:Great translation..

Josh_

U.S., English
    Good job Andrew.

I don't know. Your transaltion for the last sentence does not jive with me. It seems to stray from the original sentence more than it needs to.

I'm not sure if I can think of anything better, but perhaps something like:
    ستجدين بعض الكستناءات هناك إذا أردتِ أن تأكلي منها!!!

ستجدين بعض الكستناءات هناك وإذا أردتِ أن تأكلي منها تفضلي!!!

Andrew___

Thanks Ayed and Josh.

ستجدين بعض الكستناءات هناك وإذا أردتِ أن تأكلي منها تفضلي!!![/rtl]
    Thanks for that. I thought to myself many times after posting this thread that something along these lines would be much better - we would always say تفضلي in real life in this situation so I don't know why I didn't apply it when greeting the Arabic language. :)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    My suggestion:

لم أعد أهاب اللغة العربية. كانت ترعبني في الماضي، ولكني أقول لك الآن: "يا أيتها اللغة الغريبة! لن أستريح حتى أتغلب عليك! كنت تبدين لي كالأسد ولكن يؤسفني إخبارك بأنك الآن تبدين كالسنجاب. توجد بعض حبات الكستناء هناك فإذا أردت أكلها تفضلي!"
    Notes:

I find the sudden use of second person in the second sentence strange in both English and Arabic. So I would say "I now say to it" and أقول لها الآن.
    I would use the definite article in both comparison: كالأسد and كالسنجاب.
    الكستناء does not have a plural form as far as I know (it's a "collective noun"), so I would say حبات الكستناء.

djamal 2008

arabic
    لن أرتاح و ليس لن ارتح في حالة جزم فعل المضارع يجب حدف التمديد حيث يقع إلتقاء سكنين و هذا لا يجوز في اللغة العرب

Abu Rashid

Australian English
    Howdy elroy,

I find the sudden use of second person in the second sentence strange in both English and Arabic
    It's certainly not strange in English, it's like a sudden confrontation of an inanimate concept/thing to begin addressing it in that manner as if it is able to comprehend. Especially in a context like this of conquering a fear.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Hi Abu Rashid,

I have no problem with the use of the second person in this context per se; what I find a little strange is using it in the same sentence as a third-person pronoun referring to the same antecedent (It frightened me in the past, but I now say to you).

< Previous | Next >