I am not a member of any organized party — I am a <Democrat>.

narumaru

China
Hi all. May I ask you the meaning of "Democrat" in the sentence below?

I am not a member of any organized party — I am a Democrat.
  • Ch. 9 "Rogers was a lifelong Democrat but he studiously avoided partisanship. He contributed to the Democratic campaign funds, but at the same time he frequently appeared on benefit programs to raise money for the Republican treasury. Republican leaders sought his counsel in their campaigns as often as did the Democrats."
Will Rogers - Wikiquote

I think it means "a member of the Democratic party." and that he means "Although I am a member of the Democrat party, I am against partisanship, so I might as well act as if I am not a member of any organized party."

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
  • Retired-teacher

British English
    I think it means he believes in democracy not that he is necessarily a member of the Democratic party in the USA. The use of the two main party titles in the USA is somewhat confusing because both believe in democracy and a republican constitution. It must have something to do with their history and how each was started.

narumaru

China
    Thanks Retired-teacher.

May I ask you why a capital D was used in here, if it means "an advocate of democracy." and not "a member of the Democratic party."

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Retired-teacher

British English
    I don't know. If my interpretation is correct, then it should not have been a capital D. Perhaps it was used for emphasis but you are right, it is confusing.

Edit. Notice the emphasis on the word "organised". Another interpretation is that he is a member of the Democratic party which is not an (well-) organised one.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Rogers was a humorist. He's saying that the party he favours or belongs to (the Democratic Party) is not very organised. (It's a joke)

narumaru

China
    Thanks for help Retired-teacher. I didn't notice the word "organized" was italic until you mentioned it. Now I can see the point of this joke.

Thanks velisarius. Your comment is very helpful. This was a very confusing joke. Thanks for help.

< Previous | Next >