I am not the sharing type

< Previous | Next >

Melrosse

French
"I am sorry I won't tell you more than this. It's nothing personal. I am not the sharing type."

Does this sentence sound natural to you?

Last edited:
  • velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    What do you want it to mean, Melrosse? What is this conversation about? There isn't enough context for us to say whether this is a normal use of the phrase.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    It sounds normal in AmE.

I'm not the caring type.
    I'm not the sharing type.
    I'm not the giving type.
    I'm not the crying type.

All idiomatic.

EDIT: Sorry for the inadvertent poem.

Melrosse

French
    The conversation was about details that someone was trying to get out of me. I refused to give them any further details and this is how I explained myself to them: " I am sorry I won't tell you more than this. It's nothing personal. I am not the sharing type."
    Does it make any sense, "I am not the sharing type"?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Hmm....the thing is that so far I'm familiar with the expression in the context of jealousy only: I've found out he's stringing along a couple of other girlfriends too, so I'm dumping him - I'm not the sharing type.

Here you are talking about sharing your feelings. I'd say straight out: "I like to keep personal things private."

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Well, "I like to keep personal things/matters to myself" would be saying the same thing, i.e., "I'm not the sharing type."

All very AmE, mind you.

EDIT: Gawd, when English speakers finally understand Americans it will truly be world peace. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >