I am not ... years old

Laiiieta

Spanish - Spain
I am trying to translate the sentence "I am not 18 years old" into Chinese and I cannot think of a way to do it! :eek:

Is it 我不18岁?我不是8岁? (it sounds sooo bad to me...)

谢谢!

• Thime

Italian
    我不是18岁 is grammatically correct. 我 (subject) + 不 (adverb) + 是 (verb) + (18岁) object.

You have to think that the affirmative sentence is 我是18岁and to make the negative form you have always to add 不 before the verb.
    It's also true that you can omit the verb 是 in the affirmative form and the sentence still works. So 我18岁 it's OK, it appears maybe more colloquial. But I've never came across a negative sentence like the one you proposed.

This is my conclusion, but I suggest you to wait for a native speaker to be surer:
    我18岁 = I'm 18 :tick:
    我不是18岁 = I am not 18 years old :tick:
    我不18岁 = I not 18 year old :cross:

Last edited:

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    '我是 18 歲' sounds really odd to me.

In what context might you say, 'I am not 18 years old'? Share it with us so that we may provide you with quality translations.

T.D

mandarin
    I am trying to translate the sentence "I am not 18 years old" into Chinese and I cannot think of a way to do it! :eek:
    I am not 18 years old. (I am not a child) = 我又不是18岁。
    I am not 18 years old. (I am still a child) = 我还没到/没满18岁。

So it depends on what you really want to express.

retrogradedwithwind

Chinese
    我是18岁 is grammatically correct and would appear in certain context:
    ——你多大了?是20吗?
    ——我是18岁啊。

But 我18岁 and 我今年18岁 and 我十八(我今年十八) are more natural. I think most people would omit 是.

To negate a sentence in Chinese is not so easy as in English. The negative form of 我十八 could be, directly, 我不是十八岁. And 我不是十八岁 is correct but less common than 我没有十八/我不到十八/我没到十八, though the latter three mean " I'm younger than 18".

yuechu

Canada, English
    Hello! 大家好!
    我又不是18岁。
    I hope you don't mind if I ask a question about this sentence. I've heard 又 used in this type of context before but am not 100% sure of what it means. Would anyone be able to explain its meaning?
    Thanks! :)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    1. In English "I am not 18 years old" usually means "I am younger than 18" or "I am older than 18". OP needs to translate that meaning.

2. Chinese people and Americans use age differently. On youtube, contestants do not say 我18岁 or 我是18岁. They say 我今年18岁 ("this year I turn 18").

brofeelgood

English, 中文
    I hope you don't mind if I ask a question about this sentence. I've heard 又 used in this type of context before but am not 100% sure of what it means. Would anyone be able to explain its meaning?
    It's to stress the point.

2. 表示加重语气、更进一层:你~不是小孩!

< Previous | Next >