I am obliged (to): different possibilities

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
Hello,

Obliged as in the sentence <I very much regret it, but I am obliged to apply this Rule>
I'm memorizing 'Είμαι υποχρεωμένος' for 'I am obliged'. (υποχρέωση substantive /υποχρεώνω verb )
So is it< Είμαι υποχρεωμένος να εφαρμόσω αυτό το άρθρο>?

In English it can also be 'I am required' or simply 'I must'
I suspect one can say that in different ways in Greek too?

Also: one can use 'obliged to' with persons. <I'm obliged to you> There it takes a slightly other, less literal meaning. How does this kind of 'to be obliged to' reflect in Greek? Is it expressed with υποχρεώνομαι?

• ioanell

Greek
    I very much regret it, but I am obliged to apply this Rule
    Hi eno2,

Please, have a look at these alternatives:

Λυπάμαι πολύ, αλλά
    είμαι υποχρεωμένος να εφαρμόσω αυτόν τον Κανονισμό.
    υποχρεούμαι να εφαρμόσω αυτόν τον Κανονισμό.
    πρέπει να εφαρμόσω αυτόν τον Κανονισμό.
    οφείλω να εφαρμόσω αυτόν τον Κανονισμό.
    έχω την υποχρέωση να εφαρμόσω αυτόν τον Κανονισμό.

How does this kind of 'to be obliged to' reflect in Greek? Is it expressed with υποχρεώνομαι?
    Σού είμαι υπόχρεος / υποχρεωμένος (για την εξυπηρέτηση που μού έκανες). Μένουμε υπόχρεοι / υποχρεωμένοι απέναντί σας (για ό,τι έχετε κάνει για την οικογένειά μας). Note that υπόχρεος sounds more formal than υποχρεωμένος.

The verb υποχρεώνομαι can also be used to express the same sense, that of a person owing gratitude to sb for various reasons. For instance: Διστάζω να ζητήσω ξανά τη βοήθειά του, γιατί ήδη τού υποχρεώθηκα αρκετές φορές μέχρι τώρα. ( =I hesitate to ask for his help again, as I have been indebted to him several times so far.) Δεν θέλω να υποχρεωθώ σε κανέναν (=I don’t want to be indebted to anyone).

< Previous | Next >