I am the one who verb (singular or plural)

JL Cheah

Mandarin - Malaysia
Hi,

I'm confused with the singular or plural verb after "the one who", I don't know which one to use.

For example:
Am I the right guy who [suit/suits] you?
I believe you are the one who [is/are] making the mistake.

In example one, the singular or plural verb determined by "I" or "guy"?

Thank you.

• Barque

Tamil
    Welcome to the forum, JL Cheah.

In example one, the singular or plural verb determined by "I" or "guy"?
    It doesn't matter does it? The subject is still singular.

In your sentence, you could just delete "who suits" and replace it with "for". Or if you are particular about using "suits", delete "right" but it wouldn't sound as natural.

I believe you are the one who [is/are] making the mistake.
    It's "is". Or you could just delete "who is".

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    The verb agrees with "I" so is always singular e.g. Of all the guys in the world I am the one for you. I am the only one out of thirty pupils who is sitting the XXX exam next week.

It may help if you shorten the sentence to "I am the one who is" and conversely "They are the ones who are not...;)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'The right guy' and 'the one' are third person: they determine the agreement. The verb takes its third person singular form 'suits' or 'is'. Note that 'suit' and 'are' are not plural forms, unless they have plural subjects: 'we are', but not 'you are' if you are only one person.

JL Cheah

Mandarin - Malaysia
    Welcome to the forum, JL Cheah.

It doesn't matter does it? The subject is still singular.

In your sentence, you could just delete "who suits" and replace it with "for". Or if you are particular about using "suits", delete "right" but it wouldn't sound as natural.

It's "is". Or you could just delete "who is".
    Hi Barque, thank you for your quick response. :)

What I learn from school, the verb is determined by the subject, I, we, they, he, she, it. Like in first person, "I like you", "Charlie bites me". But when there are 2 subjects in a sentence, "I am the one who like/likes/liking you", "Charlie is the one who kick/kicks/kicking my butt", I don't know which form of verb I should use for the sentences with "the one who".

Barque

Tamil
    I wouldn't say there are two subjects. The words "am the one who" are a sort of intensifier.

As Franco-filly said:
    The verb agrees with "I" so is always singular
    Similarly for "I am the one who likes you" and "Charlie is the one who kicks my butt" (or "is kicking my butt").

JL Cheah

Mandarin - Malaysia
    I wouldn't say there are two subjects. The words "am the one who" are a sort of intensifier.

As Franco-filly said:

Similarly for "I am the one who likes you" and "Charlie is the one who kicks my butt" (or "is kicking my butt").
    I get it now. Thank you for your help. :)

JL Cheah

Mandarin - Malaysia
    Hi friends in Word Reference forum, thanks all of you for helping me to clear my doubt.
    Have a wonderful day/night with your loved ones. :)

< Previous | Next >