I am totally bagged.

Dimcl

Canadian English
In a recent thread, I used the term "bagged" to mean exhausted/very tired as in:

"I worked 16 hours today and I just want to go to bed. I'm totally bagged".

This is an expression that has been around for years (and is still used in my part of Canada), but in the aforementioned thread, both a BE speaker and an AE speaker said they hadn't heard it before.

Is this expression known/common in your area of the world? Is it AE, BE or strictly CaE?

• lablady

English - USA
    I have lived on both coasts of the United States and multiple points in between, so I usually have at least a passing familiarity with many regional phrases. I have never heard it before either. Of course, it is possible that it might be heard somewhere in the US; I haven't been everywhere yet. :)

"I am totally bagged" brings an entertaining image to my mind (picture a deer after having been bagged by a hunter). I'd be interested to know the origin of the phrase.

ewie

English English
    Nope, I don't know it either, Dimcl. (But fagged (out) with the same meaning is fairly common here in the UK.)

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thanks to all who responded. This is such a common word in my world that it came as quite a surprise that neither AE nor BE-speakers have heard of it.

I've been doing some browsing and have discovered the use of the word in this context in a number of Canadian sites so perhaps this is another of those (rare) instances where the term is strictly CaE.

Thanks again.

< Previous | Next >