I am totally sure, I would/will be my best with this position

Saurabh

English-British, Hindi
Dear friends,

I was writing a Covering letter and was stuck at the end when I wanted to write

"I am totally sure, I would/will be my best with this position."

I am not sure about whether it was to be would or will there?

My thought: WOULD there mean either :

I am not expecting to be selected and hence I am making a hypothetical situation( which ofcourse is a bad impression for a job application since I have to be confident)

or I am requesting them with full sincerity (like we say, It would be so great if you could help me out)

So, I guess WOULD might work only in requesting mode else wouldn't work at all there. I am okay with WILL working there, though.

Many thanks,
Sau.

• owlman5

English-US
    I see nothing wrong with using "would" in this statement, Saurabh. After all, the future that you are "totally sure" about is hypothetical, so using "would" makes sense.

If I were you, I'd probably change the whole sentence into something like this: I'm sure that I would do well in this position. That sounds more natural to me than writing "...,I would be my best with this position."

Saurabh

English-British, Hindi
    I see nothing wrong with using "would" in this statement, Saurabh. After all, the future that you are "totally sure" about is hypothetical, so using "would" makes sense.

If I were you, I'd probably change the whole sentence into something like this: I'm sure that I would do well in this position. :) That sounds more natural to me than writing "...,I would be my best with this position."

Thank you so much, Owlman :)

May I ask which one is better to use there : will or would? As you said , it still is hypothetical situation so WOULD would work fine there. However, Would WILL also work ?

Regards,
    sau

owlman5

English-US
    I'd use "would", Saura. If you use "will", it implies that you are sure you will get the job. That sounds a little presumptuous to me.

< Previous | Next >