I am very sorry that I did not get to the last class

kp-nuts

Hola mis amigos

I have completed a 30 week course at our local collage in basic Spanish and it’s been fantastic. I have to look for another course in September or maybe take private lessons but not with the same teacher. She has finished teaching now after completing her degree studies and may well return to Tenerife. I am on vacation come the end of this week and unfortunately I had to miss the last lesson due to work. I have composed this letter in order to thank her and hope to email this tonight. I don’t want it changing as such because it wouldn’t reflect were I got to in my understanding of Spanish. Being my teacher I am sure she would know my weak points in any letter. The way we construct a sentence in English I quite understand can be different to Spanish and that is an area I am working on.
So… does this make sense in Spanish? Please rewrite the whole lot if you wish but so long as there is no embarrassment caused in translation I would like to send this as it is. Oh!! And how do I start and end a letter... Dear... Regards... etc.

Lo siento que no llegase a la última clase española
Vamos a España este fin de semana y yo he tenido mucho que hacer en mi trabajo.
Me gustaría muchas gracias por su ayuda y su entendimiento.
Estoy orgulloso de mí mismo pues todo lo que he aprendido este año pasado.
En mi vacación espero que pueda visitar muchos pueblos españoles con mi esposa
Pienso que sus padres y su familia deben ser muy orgullosos tu.
Ha logrado mucho desde su llegada en Inglaterra
Yo y Alison le envía deseos de felicidad para su futuro

I am very sorry that i did not get to the last spanish class.
We go to Spain this weekend and i have had a lot to do at work ( inorder to get away..??)
I would like to thank you very much for your help and understanding.
I am proud of myself for all that i have learned this past year.
It is strange that i have more understanding of the English language since learning spanish with you
On my vacation i hope that i can visit many Spanish villages with my wife and enjoy it even more now.
I think that your parents and family must be very proud you.
You have achieved much since your arrival in England.
Me and alison send you best wishes for your future.
So.. any good pointers well apreciated.:)

• concafeina

ESPAÑA, Español y Catalán
    Hola mis amigos

I have completed a 30 week course at our local collage in basic Spanish and it’s been fantastic. I have to look for another course in September or maybe take private lessons but not with the same teacher. She has finished teaching now after completing her degree studies and may well return to Tenerife. I am on vacation come the end of this week and unfortunately I had to miss the last lesson due to work. I have composed this letter in order to thank her and hope to email this tonight. I don’t want it changing as such because it wouldn’t reflect were I got to in my understanding of Spanish. Being my teacher I am sure she would know my weak points in any letter. The way we construct a sentence in English I quite understand can be different to Spanish and that is an area I am working on.
    So… does this make sense in Spanish? Please rewrite the whole lot if you wish but so long as there is no embarrassment caused in translation I would like to send this as it is. Oh!! And how do I start and end a letter... Dear... Regards... etc.

Lo siento que no llegase a la última clase española
    Me gustaría muchas gracias por su ayuda y su entendimiento.
    Estoy orgulloso de mí mismo pues todo lo que he aprendido este año pasado.
    En mi vacación espero que pueda visitar muchos pueblos españoles con mi esposa
    Pienso que sus padres y su familia deben ser muy orgullosos tu.
    Ha logrado mucho desde su llegada en Inglaterra
    Yo y Alison le envía deseos de felicidad para su futuro

I am very sorry that i did not get to the last spanish class.
    We go to Spain this weekend and i have had a lot to do at work ( inorder to get away..??)
    I would like to thank you very much for your help and understanding.
    I am proud of myself for all that i have learned this past year.
    It is strange that i have more understanding of the English language since learning spanish with you
    On my vacation i hope that i can visit many Spanish villages with my wife and enjoy it even more now.
    I think that your parents and family must be very proud you.
    You have achieved much since your arrival in England.
    Me and alison send you best wishes for your future.
    So.. any good pointers well apreciated.:)
    You can start with: Querida (name of your teacher)
    Siento mucho no haber llegado a su última clase de español.
    Este fin de semana visitaremos España, y he tenido mucho que hacer en mi trabajo. Le estoy muy agradecido por su ayuda y comprensión. Me siento orgulloso de mí mismo por todo lo que he aprendido en este último año. En mis vacaciones, mi esposa y yo, esperamos poder visitar muchos pueblos españoles y disfrutar de ellos.
    Creo que sus padres y su familia deben estar muy orgullosos de usted.
    Ha logrado mucho desde su llegada a Inglaterra.
    Alison y yo le enviamos deseos de felicidad para su futuro.

Espero haberte ayudado, saludos.

Lules

Spanish Spain
    I assume you use "tu" (more familiar) instead of "usted" (formal)

I didn't correct everything, she is your teacher, she knows your level and that way she will apreciate better the effor you put on it...

Siento no haber asistido a la última clase de español.
    Me gustaría darte las gracias por tu ayuda y comprensión.
    Estoy orgulloso de mí mismo por todo lo que he aprendido este año pasado.
    En mis vacaciones espero poder visitar muchos pueblos españoles con mi esposa
    Tus padres y tu familia deben estar muy orgullosos de ti.
    Has logrado mucho desde tu llegada a Inglaterra
    Alison y yo te enviamos deseos de felicidad para tu futuro

concafeina

ESPAÑA, Español y Catalán
    I assume you use "tu" (more familiar) instead of "usted" (formal)

I didn't correct everything, she is your teacher, she knows your level and that way she will apreciate better the effor you put on it...

Siento no haber asistido a la última clase de español.
    Me gustaría darte las gracias por tu ayuda y comprensión.
    Estoy orgulloso de mí mismo por todo lo que he aprendido este año pasado.
    En mis vacaciones espero poder visitar muchos pueblos españoles con mi esposa
    Tus padres y tu familia deben estar muy orgullosos de ti.
    Has logrado mucho desde tu llegada a Inglaterra
    Alison y yo te enviamos deseos de felicidad para tu futuro

Es verdad no me he dado cuenta de adaptarlo en su nivel, más que nada para que no se note mucho la corrección por parte de quienes hablamos español, pero creo que si lo pusiera tal y como está tendría más valor para su profesora.

Saludos.

Lules

Spanish Spain
    Sorry, I forgot. To begin a letter:

Hola, [first name] (informal)
    Querida [first name] (familiar)
    Apreciada [first name] (formal)
    Apreciada Srta. [last name] (very formal, you'll need to use "usted" in the letter)

To finish:

Hasta pronto (informal)
    Atentamente (very formal)

Lules

Spanish Spain
    Es verdad no me he dado cuenta de adaptarlo en su nivel, más que nada para que no se note mucho la corrección por parte de quienes hablamos español, pero creo que si lo pusiera tal y como está tendría más valor para su profesora.

Saludos.
    (Si lo corregimos todo, va a cantar un poco:D)

BTW, kp-nuts, cantar = to be very obvious

smekera

Romania, Romanian
    Fórmulas de comienzo:

Estimada "nombre" : (formal)
    Querida "nombre" : (informal)

-------

Fórmulas de despedida:

Un saludo amistoso,
    Con mucha amistad / simpatia / respeto,

-------------------

Cuando yo estudié el español, me han enseñado que, en Español, despues de poner la fórmula de comienzo (ejemplo: „Querida Anna”), tengo que poner los 2 puntos, es decir „ : ” . Así que yo te aconsejaría no olvidar de ellos.;)

Andruique

Spain, spanish
    Shame on you, if you had got that last class, you would not need any help ;-)...

Joking, of course, it is always very nice to find someone who shows such an interest for a foreing language, in particular when that language is mine.

Railway

Spain
    Hi kp-nuts

There are some mistakes in your letter that Lules and Concafeina have already pointed out and corrected, but if I were you, I would send the e-mail as you wrote it. Despite all the mistakes, it's perfectly understandable and it shows great affection for you teacher. I think she'll like it.

About how to start and finish a letter, Lules' options are very good.
    Sorry, I forgot. To begin a letter:

Hola, [first name] (informal)
    Querida [first name] (familiar)
    Apreciada [first name] (formal)
    Apreciada Srta. [last name] (very formal, you'll need to use "usted" in the letter)

To finish:

Hasta pronto (informal)
    Atentamente (very formal)
    I would just like to add "Estimada XXXXX". It's for the beginning of the letter, and like "Apreciada XXXXX", it's quite formal.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

kp-nuts

Wow..
    Thankyou indeed. Concafeina, Lules, Smekera, Andruique and Railway. I didn`t expect so much help, thankyou. I am just in from an hard day at work but if I can print these replies out i can relax and read them through again.
    I will add a little more to my letter ( in English, only so that I can send the email this evening) and show her what help I have recieved here.

Me has ayudado mucho...

< Previous | Next >