I am waiting with the greatest eagerness to...

Maëlle33

French- France
Hello everyone,

I'm currently writing a cover letter to apply to an exchange programm to study for a year in the United States.

I wrote : "I am waiting with the greatest eagerness to concretely experience everything that i am learning at English University." (context: i am studying "LLCE anglais" as a somophore; means English Language, Literature and Civilization).

Is this form correct ?
Any improvements of this sentence ?

Thanks for your help !

Maëlle

• Silver_Biscuit

English - UK
    Maëlle, I think your sentence is more interesting/original, although it's not perfect grammatically. I think timboctou edited it a bit too much - now it sounds like the kneejerk sentence everyone would write in that situation, and is going to look mundane on an application. I recommend that you keep some of the original flavour/enthusiasm.

"I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to put into practice everything that I have learnt at university" might be a good compromise.

Maëlle33

French- France
    ""I am looking forward to having the opportunity of putting into practice the language skills that""

It is more about the society, the culture, the geography of United States than the language,

""I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to put into practice ""

so i thought "experience" would be a good term

here's my whole paragraph, for you to understand :

"I am waiting with the greatest eagerness to concretely experience everything that i am learning at English University. What we are taught enables us to understand and analyze the language, the culture, the history, the politics, and the stakes of English speaking countries. To face one of those English speaking country for real would be a marvellous achievement of these acquisitions."

Eagerly anticipate sounds very well, thanks to you !

Silver_Biscuit

English - UK
    Oh, if it encompasses culture and society and not just language then you're right, experience is better.

"I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to experience first-hand everything (that) I have studied at university." Perhaps?
    You need to change country to countries, and I'm not sure 'achievement' is the word you're looking for.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    ""I am looking forward to having the opportunity of putting into practice the language skills that""

It is more about the society, the culture, the geography of United States than the language,

""I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to put into practice ""

so i thought "experience" would be a good term

here's my whole paragraph, for you to understand_:

"I am waiting with the greatest eagerness to concretely experience everything that i am learning at English University. What we are taught enables us to understand and analyze the language, the culture, the history, the politics, and the stakes of English speaking countries. To face one of those English speaking country for real would be a marvellous achievement of these acquisitions."

Eagerly anticipate sounds very well, thanks to you_!
    "I", the personal pronoun, is always capitalized in English.
    There should be no space between a word and the following punctuation.
    Whatever you may mean by "stakes", it is not idiomatic in American English in
    this context.

< Previous | Next >