I appreciate you giving me a ride

JLanguage

USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
1. I appreciate you giving me a ride
2. I appreciate your giving me a ride

1. The entertainment will be him eating us.
2. The entertainment will be his eating us.

1. I saw him running
2. I saw his running

In every sentence, I prefer #1 and would never say #2. What about you guys? Is one or the other grammatically incorrect?

Thanks,
-Jonathan.

• elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    You can start by reading this thread.

The first set are colloquial (and, in my opinion, grammatically incorrect - except for the third one); the second set (except for the third one, which is nonsensical) are indubitably correct but perhaps not suitable in a colloquial setting.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    elroy said:
    You can start by reading this thread.

The first set are colloquial (and, in my opinion, grammatically incorrect - except for the third one); the second set (except for the third one, which is nonsensical) are indubitably correct but perhaps not suitable in a colloquial setting.
    A small quibble: the third one in the second set...

I saw his running
    may not be nonsensical in some contexts.

example: I saw his happiness. I saw his running and jumping and smiling. I saw his crying when he thought he was unperceived.

I grant it's a little odd, all by itself.

I find the middle pair strange and incomprehensible, unless we are discussing cannibles...

1. The entertainment will be him eating us.
    2. The entertainment will be his eating us.
    If we substitute 'roasting' for 'eating', we at least have something potentially humorous.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Agreed on all counts. I can see how "his running" can work in your sentence; and I, too, found the second sentence a little unsettling.