I beg your pardon

• wolfbm1

Polish
    "Beg somebody's pardon" is a formal expression. I wouldn't use it with my friends. Except when my friend took my sandwich without asking me.

suzi br

English / England
    It used to be polite in formal contexts, instead of saying "sorry". In some remote corners of England it might still be thus but for the majority of us its only use is to suggest a criticism of the other person. It implies that the other person has been badly behaved and can be said with outrage or fun in your voice, depending on who you are speaking to.

gwbook4

Castellano
    "Beg somebody's pardon" is a formal expression. I wouldn't use it with my friends. Except when my friend took my sandwich without asking me.
    Hello!

If I am a waiter in a restaurant talking to an upset customer, can I say "I beg your pardon for the/any inconvenience caused"? Does it sound too formal?

Thank you!

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It sounds very formal, and I'm not sure it conveys what you want to say. "I beg your pardon" can be used apologetically when you bump into someone or didn't understand what they said, but it's not a way to apologize for rude behavior, poor service, burned food, or a customer's bad experience.

suzi br

English / England
    It would be safest to just say "I'm sorry ...." But it could be a suitable context for begging someone's pardon.

I would love to hear someone say THE inconvenience, rather than ANY inconvenience, which seems to be the new fashion. As though the trouble is all about my perception not the shoddy service!!

suzi br

English / England
    Florentia has been firmer than me is saying Do Not Use This. I would not argue with her, my recent opinion was only tentative and four years ago I was pretty sure it had gone our of use! So yes, avoid it!

< Previous | Next >