I believe the knowledge and skills that I obtain/obtained from the program will benefit me enormousl

< Previous | Next >

nimbus1208

Vietnamese
Hi, could you help me with this sentence:

I believe the knowledge and skills that I obtain/obtained from the program will benefit me enormously.

Which one should I use?

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Depends on what you mean to say. "Obtained" applies to a program you have already completed. "Obtain" would be used with respect to a program you anticipate taking.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Using '/' like this to separate options is fraught with the potential for ambiguity. Here we don't know whether your options are:
    on the one hand: (1a) "skills that I obtain" and (1b) "skills that I obtained",
    or on the other: (2a) "skills that I obtain" and (2b) "skills obtained".

1a=2a strikes me as unsatisfactory. For a program you anticipate taking, I would use "skills that I will obtain".
    1b and 2b are equivalent and would apply, as MQ says, to a program already completed. I would say "skills that I have obtained", but that may be a BE/AE thing.

nimbus1208

Vietnamese
    Thank MuttQuad and Edinburgher,

I'm sorry for the confusion. I meant either choice in red.
    (1) I believe the knowledge and skills that I obtain from the program will benefit me enormously.
    (2) I believe the knowledge and skills obtained from the program will benefit me enormously.

@Edinburgher: This a program I am applying for. As you suggest, it should be: I believe the knowledge and skills that I will obtain from the program will benefit me enormously.

I'm not sure but I feel a bit awkward when reading out loud: " ... skills that I will obtain from the program will benefit ...".
    Is it ok?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I see. That's a valid point. Then you can perhaps say "the skills to be obtained" or "the skills I can obtain". Or use "will obtain ... can benefit".
    Another possibility is "the skills taught in the program will benefit". Although "tought" is in the same participial form as "obtained" would have been, there is strong perception that it means "are being taught".

< Previous | Next >