I bought her a gift card for her birthday.

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was recently wondering how to say the following sentence in Chinese: "I bought her a gift card for her birthday."
Would this be: "我(为了?对?)她买了一张礼品代金卡。"?
(The WR dictionary says that a gift card is 礼品代金卡. Is this term commonly used in China?)

Thanks!

• yuechu

Canada, English
    Thanks for your answer, Lekal! (and for including all those options) :D

她过生日我给她买了张礼品卡。(或者充值卡、购物卡)
    Because the birthday was also in the past, could I add a 了 to the first part of the sentence? (“她过生日了(所以)我给她买了张礼品卡。) or would that sound 别扭?

paper worker

Chinese
    Thanks for your answer, Lekal! (and for including all those options) :D

Because the birthday was also in the past, could I add a 了 to the first part of the sentence? (“她过生日了(所以)我给她买了张礼品卡。) or would that sound 别扭?
    I feel a little 别扭。 lekal's translation can also refer the past. It's not necessary to add 了 for past tense.

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    她过生日【】 (所以) 我给她买了张礼品卡。
    Adding 了 would make it more than just awkward, but make it wrong, at least to me. The particle 了 suggests the perfect tense, or more generally, a connection to the actual or historical present.

她生日就快要到【,所以我給她買了張禮品卡。​

In this sentence, the use of 了 is natural. '她生日就快要到了' is a future in the past. The connection to the historical present (which is actually the past) is causal: The first part explains the second.

她生日都已經過【】,我現在這禮品卡要送出去也不知道要用甚麼名義。​

In this sentence, the use of 了 is also natural. '她生日都已經過了' is in the present perfect. The present is the actual present rather than a historical one. The connection is causal, too.

Last edited:

SuperXW

I was recently wondering how to say the following sentence in Chinese: "I bought her a gift card for her birthday."
    Would this be: "我(为了?对?)她买了一张礼品代金卡。"?
    她买了一张礼品卡/代金卡。:tick: colloquial
    她买了一张礼品卡/代金卡。:tick: a little more formal than 给
    为了她买了一张礼品卡/代金卡。:warning: unnatural, too much emotion. usually 我为了她付出了很多(made a lot of effort or sacrifice)
    她买了一张礼品卡/代金卡。:cross:

yuechu

Canada, English
    她买了一张礼品卡/代金卡。:tick: colloquial
    她买了一张礼品卡/代金卡。:tick: a little more formal than 给
    为了她买了一张礼品卡/代金卡。:warning: unnatural, too much emotion. usually 我为了她付出了很多(made a lot of effort or sacrifice)
    她买了一张礼品卡/代金卡。:cross:
    That's great! Thanks for letting me know which prepositions are correct here, SuperXW! 😄

Last edited: