I can do that as well

dasR

English
Hey, I'm fairly new with learning the language and obviously trying to pick things up where I can. How would I translate this phrase? "I can do that as well"

• dasR

English
    Sorry I'm new here and I'm limited to my knowledge of both forum rules and the language so...

я можете сделать так же

Context would be like, someone performs an action and I'm telling someone I can do the same as what they have just done.

Rocit

Russian
    In Russian it would sound like: Я тоже могу это сделать or Я могу сделать также

Syline

Russian
    Okay thanks. What about past tense? Like "I could have done that as well", again same context, but personally choosing not to.
    What Mood do you mean? In the first example you used Indicative, but in the second one you switched suddenly to Subjunctive.

In Russian:
    Present Indicative - Я тоже могу это сделать.
    Past Indicative - Я тоже мог(masc.)/могла(fem.) это сделать.

Present Subjunctive - Я тоже мог/могла бы это сделать.
    Past Subjunctive - Я тоже мог/могла бы это сделать.

PS This is purely grammatical issue. Lexical meaning of the Subjunctive and the Indicative may coincide.

Last edited:

Syline

Russian
    In my opinion the more natural translations are Я тоже так умею for indicative and Я бы тоже так смог for subjunctive.
    Your variants aren't appropriate for all contexts. The most neutral and default translation of "I can do it as well" without any surroundings is "я тоже могу это сделать".

covar

Russian
    and:
    I can do that as well - Я могу (с)делать это так же хорошо (с таким же успехом)

Sobakus

and:
    I can do that as well - Я могу (с)делать это так же хорошо (с таким же успехом)
    As well is a single adverb, it doesn't mean "just as good" in this context. But:

I could just as well do this - С таким же успехом я мог бы и сделать это (но не сделал).

Last edited:

gvozd

Йес . Просто лично я не могу представить себе "голую" конструкцию с "также", тем более с таким порядком слов: "Я могу сделать также". Я считаю, что необходимо дополнение, чтобы оправдать слитное написание: "Я могу сделать также маникюр, если вам будет угодно". Как-то так...

< Previous | Next >