I can learn some great jokes.

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering

A: What do you expect from the comedy?

B: I can learn some great jokes.

Thoughts and context: A is B's friends and he was asking B What he expected to learn from the comedy after he watched it. B said he thought he can learn some great jokes.

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    It's a strange question to ask about a film, since we don't usually expect to learn much.
    The question would be asked before watching the movie. -What do you expect to learn from the movie?
    -I could/might learn some great jokes.

He uses 'could' and 'might' because he can't be sure that he will in fact learn any - he's expressing 'possibility'.

Sun14

Chinese
    It's a strange question to ask about a film, since we don't usually expect to learn much.
    The question would be asked before watching the movie. -What do you expect to learn from the movie?
    -I could/might learn some great jokes.

He uses 'could' and 'might' because he can't be sure that he will in fact learn any - he's expressing 'possibility'.
    Thank you! Do you mean in the situation you describe, we can't use "can"?

lingobingo

English - England
    Comedy is for entertainment, not instruction. So the idea of someone asking you what you "expect" from comedy is somewhat bizarre.

If what you really want to know is when to use can rather than could, it would be easier to give you a proper answer if you asked a more "normal" question. :)

Sun14

Chinese
    Comedy is for entertainment, not instruction. So the idea of someone asking you what you "expect" from comedy is somewhat bizarre.

If what you really want to know is when to use can rather than could, it would be easier to give you a proper answer if you asked a more "normal" question. :)
    If A spent lots of time on the comedy which made his grade low and B is his parents and asked how he can study well by watching the comedy.

heypresto

English - England
    I can't see how watching one comedy programme/film will make someone get a low grade, but if the parents believe that's the case, then their question 'What do you expect to learn from watching this comedy/programme/film?' does make sense.

And the answer 'I might learn some good jokes' would be a valid answer.

Crossed with lingbingo - whose suggestion is a good one.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Normally "the comedy" is not how you refer to a specific movie, though it can be done in certain contexts.

I think in your scenario the verb tenses are OK. Maybe they could be improved on, but it's hard to tell.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    A: What do you expect from the comedy?

B: I can learn some great jokes.

Thoughts and context: A is B's friends and he was asking B What he expected to learn from the comedy after he watched it.
    Your question is deceptive.

A: "What do you expect from the comedy?" is not the same as "he was asking asks B What he expected to learn from the comedy after he watched it."

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    "What do you expect from the comedy?" is not the same as "he was asking asks B What he expected to learn from the comedy after he watched it."
    :thumbsup:

Some potential usages (in my opinion):

Q. What do you expect from the a/this comedy?
    A. To make me laugh! Not make me weep with existential anguish.

The comedy presented in Samuel Beckett's plays is not one of laughter, it is one of sheer existential anguish.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Thank you for the context; unfortunately it isn't accurate enough to understand what is really going on in these conversations.
    Let's say Pavel's parents are very concerned about his low grades and his laziness, knowing that he is very intelligent. He's promised to try harder. One evening they ask him what he plans to do, hoping he'll say something like, 'Revise for the chemistry test tomorrow'.
    Instead, he says
    - "I'm going to watch "Dumb, dumber, the dumbest". It's a great comedy."
    His parents reply
    -" What will you 'learn' from this 'comedy'?"
    They are being sarcastic of course.
    Tom replies
    - "I might/could learn some good jokes"
    His parents are infuriated by his insolent attitude.
    They say
    - "You could/might learn some jokes and we could/might kick you out of the house, if you continue to behave like this."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >