I cannot altogether understand the sentence

user_gary

Banned
India - Hindi
I understood the highlighed words individually, but I cannot altogether understand the sentence.

I understood the highlighed words individually, but I cannot understand the sentence as a whole.

Please help me which one is correct.

• AngelEyes

English - United States
    1. I understood the highlighted words individually, but I cannot altogether understand the sentence.

2. I understood the highlighted words individually, but I cannot understand the sentence as a whole. :tick:

user_gary,

I pick number two because I understood the highlighted words individually, and I could also understand the sentence as a whole.

(This answer is my idea of grammar humor.)

AngelEyes

AWordLover

USA English
    I understood the highlighed words individually, but I cannot altogether understand the sentence.

I understood the highlighed words individually, but I cannot understand the sentence as a whole.

Hi gary,
    Decisions, decisions,...
    I can't choose.

I think they are both correct but have different meanings.
    I cannot altogether understand the sentence. [ I don't understand the sentence fully or completely.]

I cannot understand the sentence as a whole. [Athought I understand parts of the sentence, when I consider the sentence all at once (as a whole) the meaning escapes me.]

You should use the one that has the meaning you desire. I agree with AngelEyes, that without context the second seems much more likely since you've already said that you understand the parts (words). But, the first is not impossible.

< Previous | Next >