I cannot give you up to perdition as a vessel of wrath: repent—resolve, while there is yet time

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 35) | Genius

Quotation: If I listened to human pride, I should say no more to you of marriage with me; but I listen to my duty, and keep steadily in view my first aim—to do all things to the glory of God. My Master was long-suffering: so will I be. I cannot give you up to perdition as a vessel of wrath: repent—resolve, while there is yet time. Remember, we are bid to work while it is day—warned that ‘the night cometh when no man shall work.’

Context: St. John try to brainwash Jane once again into being his wife.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

the sentence => I cannot give you up to hell as a sinner on whom God's anger falls: repent your sins - make up your mind (to glorify God); it's not too late now.

I've referred New Living Translation: Romans 9:22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--prepared for destruction?
QQ图片20160716205539.png

• Truffula

English - USA
    "I cannot give you up to perdition" - by saying this, St. John is expressing that he feels he has to persuade Jane to marry him for her soul's sake. "Perdition" is an old fashioned term synonymous with "damnation." It literally means something like "lostness."

As for "as a vessel of wrath" - I think this part means that he thinks Jane is committing a sin of anger.

"Repent, resolve, while there is yet time." Express remorse for your sin (of not wanting to marry him) is the meaning of "repent" here - while "resolve" means "make your mind up" and in context "make your mind up to marry me" :) "While there is yet time" means "before it's too late."

So, your interpretation is entirely correct, at least as far as I can say.

< Previous | Next >