''I can't say but I finally *cut bait* ''

< Previous | Next >

thaleshensilva

Portuguese-Brazil
This song is about a boy who gets in ''trouble'' in his way back home (he stops to play with his friends), and he says:
''Where the time went I can't say
But I finally cut bait
Ay yo I might should truck it back home
Cause I know I'm past my grace''

You've probably noticed he's a rapper.
In the first verse, he says he doesn't know where the time went, probably because he spent too much time playing at the park that he doesn't even know, but in the second verse, he said, ''But I finally cut bait'', what'd he mean by ''but I finally cut bait''?
How would you rephrase that?
Did he mean that he stopped playing at the park and came back his way home?

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    It probably means what you say here.

The full expression is "fish or cut bait". It means "stop being undecided: choose one thing and do it now."

thaleshensilva

Portuguese-Brazil
    It probably means what you say here.

The full expression is "fish or cut bait". It means "stop being undecided: choose one thing and do it now."
    Thank you!!!
    I think you are right.
    He even said he had an internal debate, and asked ''Should I participate?''
    Now I can work on my translation of that song...

Copyright

American English
    Apparently, the meaning of the expression has changed over time, and means different things even now, depending on how the "cut bait" is interpreted:

Wikipedia: Fish or cut bait. The article is too long to quote, so you might like to have a read.

thaleshensilva

Portuguese-Brazil
    Apparently, the meaning of the expression has changed over time, and means different things even now, depending on how the "cut bait" is interpreted:

Wikipedia: Fish or cut bait. The article is too long to quote, so you might like to have a read.
    But how would you interpret it here?
    I need another word that would fit there. Because I'm trying to translate this song.

Copyright

American English
    I'm leaning towards this definition after watching the video of the song and thinking about the lyrics:

Another common variation of the meaning implies "giving up" on something, or "act now or stand down". This variation stems from the alternative interpretation of "cut bait" meaning to cut one's fishing line. An example of this variation: "You've been putting off calling him for hours; either fish or cut bait."

''Where the time went I can't say (I had fun with you guys but I wasn't supposed to stop)
    But I finally cut bait (I decided I'd better leave ... "giving up playing with you guys")
    Ay yo I might should truck it back home (I should be heading back home now)
    Cause I know I'm past my grace'' (because I've used up the grace period my mother will give me)

What's interesting to me about my choice is that I'd never heard this meaning until you asked the question and I did a little research.

< Previous | Next >